Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
what a Maryland institution.
I'm trying to pull together something for Sunday's column. If any of you have a good story to tell about Scorchy or his fishing tournament, please give me a shout.
Thanks,
Candy

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber
2,741 Posts
Thats a shame, I feel bad for his family. I have a couple of his fishing tapes he made after the moritorium was lifted

·
Premium Member
26,173 Posts
Good honest waterman.Nothing more needs to be said. Skip

·
Registered
505 Posts
Good honest waterman.Nothing more needs to be said. Skip
Scorchy Tawes was an icon here on the Eastern Shore/Delmarva Peninsula. I am not a from here, but am a come here and know that much! I had the pleasure of fishing his annual tournament year before last and was lucky enough to shake his had and say hello at the block party in Crisfield. With all due respect to Skip (and I do based on his fishing knowledge and tremendous contribution to this board), simply classifying him as a good honest waterman does not do him justice. All I can say is that if you looked up the definition of an Eastern Shoreman in the dictionary there would be a picture of Scorchy. Have a Delmarvelous week. He will surely be missed here in the outhouse of Maryland.

·
Premium Member
26,173 Posts
bte 52-my short post was meant as an HONOR to Mr. Tawes.It would take me 3 days to type everything that needs to be said about him and all he did.I was brought up with the idea that when you die-hopefully at the funeral you are remembered as an honest man.Nothing more can honor a long life as being remembered like that.Not what job you had or what awards were won-that stuff just fills out the obituary.Being called honest has to be earned-you can't win it or buy it.Takes a lifetime to earn but only a minute to lose. Skip

·
Registered
4,749 Posts
In 1998 Scorchy came to the lakes and Straits fishing tournamenrt in Wingate Marylnd to be the offical master of ceremonies. He arrived on that Sunday early in the morning and the festivities didn't start until 5 pm. One of the fire captains asked me if I might take Scorchy out fishing for a few hours before the weigh in. I said sure and Scorchy, me and a friend went out into the Honga looking for whatever we could find. We had peeler crab for bait and immediately started to catch Croaker, spot and a few small trout. After about an hour we got tired of catching and I asked Scorchy if he would like to jig for some bigger trout. He agreed and we spent the next few hours bailing 4/5 lbTrout in the Richland bouy area. We caught many nice fish on BA's and stingsilvers and Scorchy had a ball. He was a true eastern shore character and loved the bay. Scorchy will be missed and Maryland lost a true son.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Here's the WBOC Obit:

http://wboc.com/Global/story.asp?S=6004116

I remember as a kid in the early 70's going to my parents' place in S. Bethany and we had an old black-and-white TV with rabbit ears that only got WBOC. The best part of the evening news was Scorchy's "Outdoor Report," which was usually accompanied by the Agricultural Report. My brother and I would be glued to the set trying to learn what was biting in the surf and the methods being used. The reception wasn't clear, but his love of the outdoors certainly came through.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts