Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have been using rubber bands forever but this year I decided I was going to try Scotty clips to change things up a bit. Did some initial tests and I am second guessing the change. I have not trolled yet this year but will this week and wanted ask the experts here your opinion.

Question is what's your preference and if it's Scotty clips, do you do anything special with the braided line ( like doubling it up) before you put the line in the clip? What setting on the clip do you use? Do you put the line all the way back in the clip?

For what it's worth , I only run tandems off the boards...

Thanks in advance and tight lines

·
Registered
55 Posts
Been using Scotty clip for years with 80lb braid. I usually run in the less tension setting and bury the line all the way back in the clip. I use the tighter setting when it's rough. 3-4 ft seas.

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
I typically use 64 rubber bands when the seas give the scotty clips a fit. I like the "shock absorber" effect rubber bands give the lures in rough seas..

Beyond that, can't beat the scotty clips for ease of use..

Good luck!!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I typically use 64 rubber bands when the seas give the scotty clips a fit. I like the "shock absorber" effect rubber bands give the lures in rough seas..

Beyond that, can't beat the scotty clips for ease of use..

Good luck!!
Yup - its the ease of use I heard about that made me try them out.. That and I have seen the charters I've been on using them so figured they gotta work

·
Registered
147 Posts
#32 rubber bands for me. Fresh bag every year. I (or trusted crew) set the lines in the morning and reuse the same bands when we bring in the lines for jellies. Occasionally bands will slip a bit on braid so I usually rig up the heaviest tandems on the mono. That seems hold just fine.

·
Registered
873 Posts
So I have been using rubber bands forever but this year I decided I was going to try Scotty clips to change things up a bit. Did some initial tests and I am second guessing the change. I have not trolled yet this year but will this week and wanted ask the experts here your opinion.

Question is what's your preference and if it's Scotty clips, do you do anything special with the braided line ( like doubling it up) before you put the line in the clip? What setting on the clip do you use? Do you put the line all the way back in the clip?

For what it's worth , I only run tandems off the boards...

Thanks in advance and tight lines
Love my Scotty's and run them year round when running boards. Have 80lb braid too. All the way tight and in during trophy and halfway back for resident fish season.

·
Registered
619 Posts
This weekend I ran #32 bands with an inexperienced crew. They seemed to be catching on, so I put a couple Scottys in the spread. Every time the guys got the clip to the right spot on the planer line the extra jerk from putting the rod in the holder caused the clips to release. Went back to the bands without further incident.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Rubber bands are easy and fool proof. But the Scotty Clips are much more versatile offering multiple adjustment options once you take the time to learn. There are 2 basic settings. Then you can further fine tune within each of those 2 settings. I use mine with braid.

powergripshot.jpg

·
Registered
679 Posts
Charter we take out of Chesapeake Beach has always used rubber bands. I guess whatever works for the individual, use it. Like all other equipment, the more you use it, the better you get at tweaking it.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Rubber bands because we missed 2 fish with Scotty's on Sunday. My rubber band popped and actually brought in a 40 incher!

In all honestly, I do not know how to adjust the Scotty's. I think rubberbands are more foolproof.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts