Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
was wondering if anyone is interested in getting together and
A. meeting up and talking sea duck hunting over a few beers,
B. getting together a sea duck shoot, we would meet and hunt an area as a group keeping the birds moving.

·
Registered
27 Posts
just got into ducks and geese this year and am having a blast

where abouts are you looking to round up the sea ducks--my buddy has a 26 foot Parker type boat and is itchin to try sea ducks too

thanks

charlie

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sea duckin

i go out of kent narrows or rock hall. you can go in the bay proper and shoot any waterfowl that is legal.

·
Registered
58 Posts
i'd be interested in that - i'm just hunting out of an old jon boat with a pretty deep v - i'm just north of gibson island so i can't stray too far. definitely interested in that "beer" you were talkin about...

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
I know Eastern Bay has been full of sea ducks the last few times I've run through there. Lots of Oldsquaw. I've thought about giving it a shot sometime but the only problem is once you shoot them you can't do anything with them. Shame to waste them.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm looking to do an article for Virginia Wildlife Magazine on Sea Duck Hunting. Hate to invite myself but would anyone be interested in allowing me to tag along on a sea duck hunt for the article. I won't give away any spots don't worry.

A great opportunity to promote a hunting or fishing service.

Thanks. SHoot me a PM if you would be willing.

·
Registered
783 Posts
I would definitely like to hook up for a hunt. I have the gear. Just need some partners. Im pretty flexible on location. Just need a couple days notice.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I'm in....

don't know anything really about it other than that they are a little less wary and you set a string of decoys in a jhook pattern. Have killed plenty of ringbills, golden eyes, buffle head, blue bill etc. as an incidental kill puddle ducking, but it's tough to find available places to do that these days so have been thinking about getting into diver ducks. I have a 16 foot double wide polar craft but I'm thinking that isn't going to be enough for where you guys go. Also have a pile of puddle duck decoys though I don't know if that would would queer the divers and seaducks or not. Do have a couple dozen unpainted small mallard decoys I could paint bluebill patterns. Anywho, I am in RIchmond so York, Rapp, Potomac and maybe the bay would be where I would be interested in going.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
i have some grass coming which im gonna dye dull greys and blues. i also have a roll of goretex in a different pattern that will look good on the water unfortunately i got it after i did this one. i will use the new when i make the roof/cover. combined with the grass etc it will hopefully look good.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
went out on saturday near rock hall wind hawking drifting at almost 2 mph had some old squaw dive bomb us got a couple, saw a s***load of ducks and geese in the offshore zone plan on getting out there this weekend. hopefully smoke some geese as well. anyone who want to go hook up with me by bmail. craig

·
Registered
159 Posts
I know Eastern Bay has been full of sea ducks the last few times I've run through there. Lots of Oldsquaw. I've thought about giving it a shot sometime but the only problem is once you shoot them you can't do anything with them. Shame to waste them.
One Word for ya, PASTRAMI

My buddy makes pastrami out of less than desireable watrfowl and it is really good.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Layout rig hunting

We use a very low profile layout boat setting about 300 decoys - the boat looks like a flying saucer and is legal - takes certain conditions to set it - if we can get reduction of ice we will work it again before the seasons end - we are in Salisbury MD and gun both Bay and seaside locations - we have a lot of birds - just need the safe conditions - WBOC local news sent their helo out to do a special on this rig but had to abort do to a frontal approach
we will hunt several times between now and season closing on Sat just hope we get to shoot the layout - Mike

I'm looking to do an article for Virginia Wildlife Magazine on Sea Duck Hunting. Hate to invite myself but would anyone be interested in allowing me to tag along on a sea duck hunt for the article. I won't give away any spots don't worry.

A great opportunity to promote a hunting or fishing service.

Thanks. SHoot me a PM if you would be willing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts