Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a friendly reminder that when sea ducking, you have to be 800 YARDS away from the nearest land.

Saturday we were ducking the shoreline and a sea duckin boat comes out and sets up maybe 300-400 yards away from us. We've seen this boat a number of times in the same spot.

Sincerely,
DNR on Speed-Dial

·
Registered
495 Posts
Is this in VA or MD? I know in VA, you can hunt seaducks anywhere, but you only are eligible for the special bag limit when you are 800 yards away from shore. Perhaps these dudes were just shooting seaducks and counting them in their normal bag limit, as opposed to their offshore seaduck limit.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is in MD near the Bay Bridge. Anne Arundel Cty so not in the special areas.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Hunt_Trap/pdfs/sdzmap.pdf
While hunting in the
sea duck zone:
1) nonresidents must be
accompanied by a Maryland
resident at all times,
2) you must remain at least
800 yards from all shore,
including shore emerging at
low tide and
3) you must remain at least
500 yards from any road,
bridge or causeway and 250
yards from any other person
hunting waterfowl.

http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Hunt_Trap/pdfs/grzmap.pdf
A person hunting wild waterfowl in the offshore hunting zone shall remain at least:
1) 800 yards from any shore including shore emerging at mean low water, except in the following waters, where a person hunting wild waterfowl shall remain at least 400 yards from shore including shore emerging at mean low water:
a. Chesapeake Bay located in Baltimore, Harford, and St. Mary's counties
b. Potomac River;
c. Susquehanna Flats; and
d. Dorchester, Somerset and Wicomico counties, as described in 08.03.07.07.
2) 250 yards from any person legally hunting wild waterfowl; and
3) 500 yards from any bridge, road, or causeway.

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
not a set blind, they were in an open jon boat. This is right out in mainstem waters. I understand that it can be tough to judge distance when you come out to open water in a jon boat in the dark, but you have a responsibility to know where you are (GPS) and not mess up my hunting from my private property by setting up too close to shore where I'm sitting in a blind. I understand that The Man has been busting people down towards Herrington for the same thing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts