Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone caught any fish with sea lice on them yet? Caught one that was full of them last night and one tonight that had a few. I know its early but i guess the storms brought them in. Fish were caught in the Patapsco.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Noticed a couple on my deck too last night when I cleaned up. Was fishing the same area.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I rock!
1,699 Posts
Thanks for the report

·
Registered
178 Posts
Keeper sized schoolies and larger. They definitely had more of the sea run look to them for what it's worth, I.E. More silver/blue toned than the resident PTap fish that are caught regularly to me, which look a little more golden/brown tinged.

I have caught all sized fish with the sea lice on them at different times, in that part of the bay. I would agree that the storm might have brought the sea lice in and they are grabbing on to the fish. The water is incredibly clear considering the rains, not sure if its cause of the storm bringing up seawater into the bay or just the slow steady rain we did get really cleared it out.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
For me it seems like the sea lice show up at the exact time the peanut bunker start flooding out of the rivers (which they are, as we had a nice bite of fish outside a midbay river last night with peanuts being popped right out of the water, so cool to see ). I always felt like those were fish that were much farther S in saltier water that come up the bay for the annual bunker deluge out of the rivers. Seems a little early though. I thought I saw some sealice but didn't pay much attention as we were fighting darkness and fishing hard.

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Has anyone caught any fish with sea lice on them yet? Caught one that was full of them last night and one tonight that had a few. I know its early but i guess the storms brought them in. Fish were caught in the Patapsco.
First week of October is when the first wave comes every year. This is not a new pattern. 24-34 inch fish mainly. By the 1st week of November they are here thick in certain areas. One of my buddies won a small local tournament last year in the upper bay with a 50 inch fish Nov 5 I beleive. That fish would have won the MSSA fall tournament caught above bridge. Thanks for the confirmation. I knew they would be somewhere close. With the storm I've been limited to 1 trip looking for them last week no joy. I'm in Florida busting fish for the next 6 days. Beleive it or not I can't wait to get back to the chesapeake! Tight lines up north!

·
Registered
319 Posts
For me it seems like the sea lice show up at the exact time the peanut bunker start flooding out of the rivers (which they are, as we had a nice bite of fish outside a midbay river last night with peanuts being popped right out of the water, so cool to see ). I always felt like those were fish that were much farther S in saltier water that come up the bay for the annual bunker deluge out of the rivers. Seems a little early though. I thought I saw some sealice but didn't pay much attention as we were fighting darkness and fishing hard.
Johnnyo, were you getting them out front in the 20' to 25' or further out? We're headed out Sunday and gonna head east and then northern spots but curious if it's worth looking around right out front.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The fish i have caught are in the 21 to 24 class and not a through back. Most of the summer in the river were 19 1/2" fish. With the sea lice showing up the river will only get hotter.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
Throw an anchor in the same area and you'll pull up a lot of "sea lice." Just a parisite that hangs out near the bottom. Does not mean they are from the ocean. Plus there are many different types of "sea lice."

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
4 overs this evening close by.
They are coming in now for sure

ForumRunner_20151022_212441.png

ForumRunner_20151022_212431.png

1 - 13 of 13 Posts