Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone had experience fishing from a Sea Ray Amberjack? Looking at a AJ 290 and wondering how it is as a fishing platform? Any opinions would be great.

Thanks,
Todd

·
Registered
135 Posts
Very comfortable platform. Especially for trolling and... when taking the missus out with you! :)) My wife way prefers it over the Grady or any of the CC's when we're heading out for a day of fishing. In fact, we'll be running one out of the Bodkin tomorrow. Hopefully some rock in the UB! I'll be on 68...

John
Pop O'Cork

·
Premium Member
26,108 Posts
Sea Ray has been around for a long time and have a good reputation.It's not a hard core fishing machine but you'll be fishing in comfort :thumbup:.

·
Registered
590 Posts
A buddy of mine has one and it is indeed a very nice "platform" for enjoying pretty much everything you may want do out in the Bay. It fishes easy, cruises with style, speed and comfort and has loads of room.

I will say this, and it's not a knock, but....one day we ran from the mouth of Magothy down to False Channel and back and burned over $230worth of gas!!

·
Registered
687 Posts
Not sure what year you are looking at but the older amberjacks (mid to late 80's) has a huge open rear deck.
I looked at a 27 footer that had a 10 foot beam and it was set up real nice for fishing.
The newer models dont seem quite so open from the pics ive seen.

Im in the market for another boat and just cant make up my mind between an express cruiser or a 25'+ W/A

I want something comfortable for a weekend outing but with plenty of room to fish off of for more than 2 people.

My head hurts from all the different style boats ive looked at .... lol.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Sea Ray AJ

I own a 1981 Sea Ray 255, an early model Amberjack and it is a very capable boat. I have been fishing out in some pretty bad conditions and have never had anyone want to turn back. The boat rides great and fishes very well. With the 10 ft beam it has a lot of fishing room. I was thinking of selling it to buy a new boat but I am torn.

Paul

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I fish out of a 25 Sea Ray. Very heavy boat, not as manueverable as I'd like and wish I had more fishing room in the cockpit, but it gets the job done and will handle about anything the bay throws at her. She's had her share of rockfish pulled over the rail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts