Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you have sea tow and you fish out of OI your coverage area just dropped. They only cover 10 miles from the sea bouy!! That's it!! I confirmed it last week with sea tow out of OI. Boat US still covers 50 miles on their unlimited plan which cost 120.00 - 140.00 depending on where you sign up at. If you fish out of Hatteras they only have boat us towing out of hatteras as well!!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Swan:

This is the kind of **** we have to put up with when we launch out of so many different locations. In my case, I could launch anywhere from Charleston, SC up to Virginia Beach. Hate to buy Insurance from 2 different companies, but the way I see it I have no other choice. As the kids say,....bummer.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Can you ellaborate more like who told you about it and who you contacted to confirm? You have me worried now, I usually only fish O/I a few times a year and don't want to be with out coverage.

More info would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
7,664 Posts
I guess I'll be giving them a call as I just recently renewed. The coverage has always been great, but now I'm worried.

Thanks for the heads up Mike.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Over on the 'other' board Swancaller posted on this morning...mgmt from both the OI and Morehead City branches of Sea Tow responded by saying this is not their policy.

I personally don't know, but someone has their signals crossed. Sea Tow is a business owned by individuals. I hope no falsehoods are being spread that would hurt said business.

Jay

·
Registered
650 Posts
Sea Tow

The statement about 10 miles past the sea bouy is false, just talked to sea tow about it. The sea tow captain just got back from tow 25 miles out. Doug.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I talked to CAPT. STUART WESCOTT SEA\\TOW OREGON INLET 252-473-3465. He told me they changed their coverage because of Insurance reasons.....REMEMBER ME NOW CPAT!!! YES YOU DID TALK TO ME YOU STATED THIS TO ME ON THE PHONE!! Yes they will come out and get you but it will cost you!!! YOU STATED YOUR FREE COVERAGE WAS 10 MILES FROM THE SEA BOUY. I dont want someone thinking they can go 30 miles offshore and break down and get towed in for free. Boat US still covers you for 50 miles!!.... LET ME HELP YOU REMEMBER OUR CONVERSATION SIR..... YOU STATED IF I WAS OFFSHORE AND BROKE DOWN TO SHOOT OFF A SMOKE FLARE AND A CHARTER BOAT WOULD TOW US IN. THEN YOU WOULD PICK US UP OUTSIDE THE INLET!!! NOW DO YOU REMEMBER SIR. DONT CALL ME A LIAR! I WILL COME DOWN AND TALK TO YOU FACE TO FACE!!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I called Sea tow OI because I am about to renew. I specifically asked Capt Stuart about fishing offshore out of OI. We discussed fishing the point.... which is a normal area to fish out of OI. I in no way want to discredit sea tow or any of the sea tow franchisers!!! I have never had to use sea tow but have know others that have and they spoke highly of the service that is WHY I BECAME A MEMBER AND HAVE BEEN A MEMBER UNTIL APRIL 18 2007!! I called this Sea tow Capt to ensure that they still had coverage offshore out of OI prior to renewal. When HE told me that he only covers 10 miles from the sea bouy it floored me. He stated this 3 different times to me. He also stated they dont have a franchise out of Hatteras because there is not enough boat traffic there! I know he will go past 10 miles but what good is it if it is not covered by the tow insurance because I am outside his AOR. I in no way want to discourage anyone from using Sea Tow OI or any other sea tow service. I just wanted to let the people that fish OI and Hatteras know what I found out by ACTUALLY TALKING TO SEA TOW AND BOAT US OI!!

·
Registered
451 Posts
That Capt towed me in Nov 29 2006. He stated that he just repowered his tow boat and was ready to roll.. This shocks me that he has changed his service!!! I know Angelo VB will come and get you.

Went to the website and found this:

Q. How far am I covered offshore?
A. Sea Tow has no distance limits. If your local Sea Tow is unable to come get you at long distances, Universal Towing Coverage applies providing reimbursement of up to $5000 per incident. Contact your local Sea Tow for more information on your specific boating area.

So did he mean the boat that tows you the first part up to the 10 mile rendevois will get paid?
I cant imagine him not going the distance he was super cool.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Why buy towing specific insurance at all? I have unrestricted towing (no $ or distance limitations at all) as part of my AMICA policy. Since I fish exclusively offshore, I called to make sure I understood the coverage. I put it to the test a few years ago when I went aground in what should have been channel according to the markers. In any case, AMICA sent a check as soon as I faxed them the tow outfit's bill for ~ $500. I can use any tow outfit I want and am always covered as long as I stay in the US ... I don't plan to leave our waters, so that's not really a limitation for me. I used to have tow specific insurance, but haven't seen any reason to now.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts