Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Sea Tow and understand that if you get in trouble out of Hatteras(Rockpile, Empire Gem, 000's), that you are supposed to call and they will get someone out to get you(most likely Tow Boat at Hatteras).
Sea Tow says pay the bill out of pocket and they will reimburse you the costs.

Has anyone needed to do this?
How did it go?

I am up for renewal and would like to find out if this is the way to go.

p.s.
When I first signed up with Sea Tow Va Beach the son said "don't worry I'll come and get you in Hatteras if we can't get you help"
At the boat show this year Mom said that this would never happen....."we don't leave our service area"

I feel that they are most likely the way to go, but I am a little bummed out that they were not truthful at the start.

Ian

·
Registered
428 Posts
Boat US is the only service off Hatteras. The fleet out of HI is very friendly and I'd be surprised if you were ignored if you broke down. I'm not sure if Sea Tow will reimburse you for a paid tow there. I looked that the policies and choose Boat US given the coverage. I saw nothing stating they would reimburse for other towers in non-service areas. I would check with Sea Tow and make sure you get it in writing.

Tim T.
Judge 34 Express
Got Fish Too?

·
Registered
1,814 Posts
When you find the answer out please post and I will do the same if I do. Thanks!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here is what I sent Sea Tow........

Hello,
Your brochure says that I will get unlimited free service area towing (to home port, transient dock, or dock-to-dock) My question is if I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia and trailer my boat to Hatteras, North Carolina and break down 30 miles offshore how will you get me back ashore? and what costs will be incurred by me?
Thank you

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
It is Boat Us and they do tow out of HI. They will tow you and when you get back they will make you pay up front for the tow. They will take cash or credit card and then they will send the information to Sea Tow and Sea Tow will reimburse you with a check sent to your house. I have personally experienced this. The tow bill was $ 973.00

·
Registered
29 Posts
Last summer, while fishing out of O.I. on my buddies boat we had the misfortune of breaking down 34 miles offshore......we finally got ahold of the coast guard and asked to relay to TOW BOAT US to come and tow us in.....They told the Coast Guard that they refused to come and tow us....As a result the Coast Guard cutter towed us in from 34 miles out.....Those guys were life savers and don't EVER get the much deserved appreciation they need. Anyway, needless to say my buddy could not of been more upset to say the least with TOW BOAT US and since we've went with SEA TOW who told us at the boat show they WOULD come and get us..........

Jim

1 - 7 of 7 Posts