Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have Sea Tow and understand that if you get in trouble out of Hatteras(Rockpile, Empire Gem, 000's), that you are supposed to call and they will get someone out to get you(most likely Tow Boat at Hatteras).
Sea Tow says pay the bill out of pocket and they will reimburse you the costs.

Has anyone needed to do this?
How did it go?

I am up for renewal and would like to find out if this is the way to go.

p.s.
When I first signed up with Sea Tow Va Beach the son said "don't worry I'll come and get you in Hatteras if we can't get you help"
At the boat show this year Mom said that this would never happen....."we don't leave our service area"

I feel that they are most likely the way to go, but I am a little bummed out that they were not truthful at the start.

Ian

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Interesting question

I am close to renewal and after reading posts/threads have been going . Seatow ? Tow boat Us? back and forth. Who covers the entire VA / NC coast and major tributaries?

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
I had an experience similar to that at Gwynn's Island...towboat came and got me and seatow reimbursed towboat. It didn't cost me a penny but the bill would have been 175 bucks had I not had tow insurance. They only towed me 3 miles from Stove Point to the public ramp!

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
uh-oh here we go
:yes: Yup.......... here we go........... :clap: :wacko: :yawn: :rolleyes:

My advise is you make the decision, but read well and do your homework. That way you will understand what each one offers.......... sometimes there's more than meets the eye. Talk to each of the providers for enough time to get to understand the program and what you'll be getting for what you're paying for since these are the people you'll be depending on for help (maybe at the worst possible time). Try to understand the policies of both services.

·
Registered
950 Posts
yep here we go

there have been plenty of threads, some extremely long covering this subject. Search, read, enjoy then make the right decision (hopefully) for you.
Joe

·
Registered
64 Posts
i think you need to go with boat us. i had a prop tangle and every 10 min they called me on the radio or on my cell and asked me how the situation was going. i ended up getting it undone but i was extremely impressed w their attention to me. they also a AAA TYPE ROAD ASSISTANCE for your trailer. as for sea tow out of va beach he left my friend at the third island w his small kids onboard sea tow that even though he was within the 24 hour grace period his boat must not be seaworthy and sea tow isnt in the business of being a AAA for peice of junk boats and if my freind didnt think his boat could make it out and back he should have stayed home. plus there was a huge stink on t.f. that was so bad t.f. locked furure posts to it because it got so inflamitory. take the safe bet boat us thanks

·
Registered
7 Posts
Seatow takes your money up front with the hopes that you never break down. Tow Boat US does not get paid until they tow you in. Which one would do you think WANTS to tow you in?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just call the Coast Guard, We were to towed in a couple of times. Once I wrap a large wrope and wire around my prop and broke a shaft. My friend lost all power to his outboard and call the Coast Guard. I have Tow Boat U.S. and believe they are there for the boater.

If I'm ever in the area I'll Tow you in. Motto " No Fisherman will be left behind". good luck

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Seatow takes your money up front with the hopes that you never break down. Tow Boat US does not get paid until they tow you in. Which one would do you think WANTS to tow you in?
Not entirely accurate ... Both companies offer prepaid plans or will do pay as you go.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Let me relate my own experience to you, we left OI enroute to the point and got 32 miles out when my coil decided to quit (and of course my backup was at home). Anyway we got the Coast Guard who responded to us and relayed to Tow Boat US (I was a member at the time) who said they would not respond, and would not give a reason. From what Sea Tow told them, they were already involed with something and could not tow us either, so the coasties towed us in. After that experience I now have Sea Tow, who according to them will reinburse for the tow if they can not respond. I do not know if this accurate or not I only know that I will not give Tow Boat US another dime.

Fred

·
Registered
3,905 Posts
Let me relate my own experience to you, we left OI enroute to the point and got 32 miles out when my coil decided to quit (and of course my backup was at home). Anyway we got the Coast Guard who responded to us and relayed to Tow Boat US (I was a member at the time) who said they would not respond, and would not give a reason. From what Sea Tow told them, they were already involed with something and could not tow us either, so the coasties towed us in. After that experience I now have Sea Tow, who according to them will reinburse for the tow if they can not respond. I do not know if this accurate or not I only know that I will not give Tow Boat US another dime.

Fred
Your are right Sea Tow will re inburse you if Tow Boat tows you. But you have to pay up front . I.E. credit card or cash. This happened to me this past summer going White Marlin fishing in Hatteras. It took some time for Sea Tow to re inburse me though. I still have Sea Tow.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts

Fred
TowBoat US will do the same. Need to read up on the services offered as I stated above.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
25sportcraft, the only reason I will most likely stay with Sea Tow is because as I understand it, Tow Boat US will not come out over 25 miles.
That is probably why they said no to you.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Seatow OI is awesome super good guy.. Just bought the franchise I was his first tow with his new diesel power in the seattow boat. The skipper is in his 40s-50s been a charter cpt out of oi the whole 9. I was @ the point and he came and got me after Jeff aka flatline pulled me around 13 miles in. Hope I can pay it forward one day. I cant say as far as HI goes but my experience w/ seatow has been excellent.
BTW last year there was about 15 pages of arguing over which one I calleed Angelo personally out of VB ,he was cool ,and said he will go to the canyon to get your [email protected]@ if he needs to.

Either way get one of the tow services you never know...

·
Registered
485 Posts
the question i would ask is "how many boats do you have"...it gets kinda nuts out there sometimes...

·
Registered
432 Posts
This happened this summer. Friend of mine has Sea Tow from the Elizabeth City N.C. area. He was leaving Hatteras Marina and broke down, so he calls Sea Tow and he was told that Sea Tow does not run out of Hatteras but they could send another ( did not name ) tow boat to tow him in but he will have to pay them upfront and then be reimburst from Sea Tow. He hailed another boat down and they pulled him in. He was pretty upset because he runs out of Hatteras more than anywhere and thought Sea Tow serviced that area along with the Albermale Sound and surrounding rivers where he freshwater fishes.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts