Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need to get some advice. I want to by a repo boat. They will allow a mechanic to inspect the engines (2) 2006 optimax 150's but will not allow a sea trial. Can I be fairly certain the engines will run properly without a sea trial? any other way to test? They are under warranty till June 09.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Do not!! Do not!!! buy without a sea trail!!! A compression test only tells you the motor has acceptable compression. You need to operate this motor under load to see how the boat performs and for long enough to make sure there is no overheating or other problems and the motor operates up to specs.

·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alley cat,
What kind of problems could there be that the warranty would not cover?

·
Registered
8,600 Posts
Being a repoed boat I am sure you are getting a deal. Have Chesapeake Whalertowne is Maryland¿s exclusive Boston Whaler Dealer servicing the Annapolis, Washington DC, Baltimore, & the Eastern Shore go over the motors. They are the BEST Optimax mechanics around If Richard gives you the OK then I would have no issue rolling with it if you get a good deal.

I loved my Optimax that was flawless for me. Whalertowne serviced it and was wonderful to deal with. Be sure to run Optioil and quickleen...

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
A competent mechanic should be able to pull the engine computer info (assuming opti-max has this) and make a reasonable guess as to whether the warranty would apply. If the previous owner somehow abused the engines, that might show up and void the warranty. An in-network mechanic can probably also get service records and past warranty work info.

Personally, I'd be more concerned about the performance of the hull in a sea trial if I hadn't driven that model before.

·
Registered
3,050 Posts
Need to get some advice. I want to by a repo boat. They will allow a mechanic to inspect the engines (2) 2006 optimax 150's but will not allow a sea trial. Can I be fairly certain the engines will run properly without a sea trial? any other way to test? They are under warranty till June 09.
I bought mine from Lab Marine and DID NO have a sea trail.. I also had a warranty on everything for two more years after I bought the boat. It cost me 75.00 to transfer the warranty (only one time transfer), so that was worth anything someone could tell me.

Just think, even if you do a sea trial and have it inspected, something could still happen the second time you go out. That's were the warranty comes in.. Made me sleep better..

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Be very carefull---some warranties are not transferable & some will only transfer if certain conditions are met,,since it is a repo-it is possible that the warranty will not transfer unless certain conditions are met-=most Outboard warranties are only transferable from the original owner & must be done within a certain timeframe (usually 30 days) & must be inspected by a authorized dealer..
before buying make sure that the warranty will transfer to you --go dirrectly to the source, an authorized mercury dealer to find out--do not rely on info gathered from anywhere other than a Mercury dealer

if the warranty will transfer then I would not hesitate to purchase..

·
579 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the reply's. As usual the TF group is the best. I just found out that one of the engines were siezed up when they got it. They replaced the head (with a 40hr used head)due to a lack of oil per the mechanics report and are giving a 90 day warranty on that. Since I won't be using it much until March the warranty won't do me much good.
I'm sure the original warranty is void on that motor. This also put "in question" the way the boat was maintained. Don't think I want to take the chance. Thanks again for the responses.

·
Premium Member
26,251 Posts
You point out something about a repo boat.If the owner could not afford the payment - most likely they could not afford the proper oil/maintance/upkeep on it as well.

If you are serious about buying a boat - there are plenty of good deals out there.New boats have never been cheaper and the used boat market is flooded.Figure out what you want and ask a good broker to find it for you.The upcoming Baltimore boat show is a great place to look around plus many dealers have alot of trade in boats for low prices.

·
Registered
2,306 Posts
I looked at boats at Lab Marine and and ran for the exit. Ditto on what Skip says. Way to many boats for sale and even more coming in the spring.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I purchased my current boat from the REPO man back in April. All in all the deal worked out great. I got just what I wanted and I paid far below retail even in todays market and comparable boats today are much higher priced than what I paid. I looked at lot of boats that matched what I wanted in the ad and when I went to look at the boat I saw how bad it was kept. There is a ton of beat up boats in the repo yard. Repo boats are a hard find but you just may find that one boat that is lightly used and a good deal. If you are looking online study the pictures they tell alot.

FYI the boat is on 06 with twin Yamaha 150's with 52hrs. No warrenty on the hull or motors. I did not need the sea trial (I wanted too) becuase I already knew how the boat preformed. I was able to get the boat inspected and with that knowledge I took the chance.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts