Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9,785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saturday crew: Mike, Lanie, Steve (Dixie), David (Forth Island), and Dr. Ike.

Sunday crew: Mike, Lanie, Steve (Dixie), Mark, and Alex.

Saturday: Departed Hampton at 7:20 am with Lanie and Dr. Ike and picked up the rest of our crew at Rudee inlet at 8:30 am and ran south. Calm seas making good time but got to the party late. Hit the first school of fish off the duck research pier and quickly put 5 in the box. Bite turned off and could not acquire the school so we ran to the second school just north of the Wright Memorial. Too much pressure scattered the school but picked away and caught 4 more. At 2:30 pm we decide to run north towards home to try to find another pod of fish but never saw them or birds so we run home. White seemed to be the color and many fish came on the umbrella in the shotgun position. With the number of boats and pressure on these fish, we learned get there early and get your fish early. It did not help to see 3 NC trawlers netting striper running smack in the middle of the recreational angler boats. The trawlers were forming conga lines running back and forth scooping up every fish they could manage.

Lanie and I spent the night on the boat at Rudee Inlet Station Marina and had dinner at Rudee's Restaurant with Ike and his wife Kathy. I left a cooler at my marina so Ike was kind enough to bring our fillets back to Hampton when he picked up his car. This kept us legal so we didn't have striper fillets on the boat for our Sunday trip. Got the boat all toasty warm and popped in a DVD movie, a really stupid one called Lottery Ticket. I think I made it 15 minutes and I was asleep by 8:30 pm.

Sunday: Up at 4:30 am and did some re rigging and got the spread ready. Left Rudee inlet at 6:30 am to flat seas. Ran to just north of the Wright Memorial and it was game on getting our limit by 10 am. Did some C&R for a while then checked the forecast. Wind was supposed to shift N then NE so we decided to run home at 11 am before thing blew up. Talked to Robert on Reel Escape and Bret on The Attitude and seem there were plenty of fish to be had north of us too. Made it back to Rudee Inlet early to drop off our crew. Lanie and planned to stay over Sunday night too but with the crappy Monday forecast we decide to run home to Hampton Sunday afternoon before seas build too much.

Get back to Saltponds at 2:30 pm to see our inlet blocked with the dredge crew but glad to see them there as our inlet is rapidly closing up again. I guess the dredge crew didn't expect too many boats to be out but they got their stuff moved so we could pass to get in.

Great weekend of fishing. Looks like everybody who made the run south (or North from OI) were rewarded with full fish boxes. I will not make that run again in my boat this season unless the fish move closer to our waters. But I knew if we didn't go I would have kicked myself for not. Interesting that Saturday's fish stomachs were empty but Sunday they were packed full of bunker.

Here are some other pics in no particular order. I'll email out the rest of the pics to the crew.

·
Registered
335 Posts
This one's for the (fishing) girls!

:yes:
Had a blast fishing Saturday/Sunday!
And just for my fellow female anglers-
I was the only one to pull in a double striper - had to show em how it's done!
:wink44::innocent:

It was amazing to hear and see all the striper caught this weekend. That'll put some meat on the table! Guess I'd better buy some more coconut so I can fry up some coconut striper!

Thanks to the guys: David (4th Island), Ike, Mark, Alex, Steve (Dixie)
~Lanie

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Looks like some great fishing and really happy crews:thumbup:. Great job out there and thanks for the report.:fishing2:

·
Registered
335 Posts

Coconut Striper
Ingredients
1-2 lb striper (rockfish or striped bass)
1 bx tempura batter mix
1 1/2 c shredded coconut (use fresh only, don't use if bag has been sitting around opened for a long time)

Directions
Trim striper and cut into "nuggets"
Follow tempura batter mix instructions on box, add in coconut and mix well.
Dip fish nuggets in batter mix, and drop into deep fryer.
Remove when nuggets are golden brown.

Excellent with rice and dipping sauce!

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
Mike & Lanie,
Thanks for the great trip down south. It was great fishing and catching with you two and Dave and Steve. It couldn't have been more comfortable a ride both ways and great company. I love catching those stripers and hope they might come up further north but I'm with you and think waiting till then to go back would be wiser. Thanks for the invite. Just let me know if you do it again or go offshore.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Felt good to get out and finally get some pullage for once! Got meat in the box and plenty to share as well! Thanks for the trip!!!

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
That was one of the most comfortable and fun striper trips I have ever been on! Thanx to Mike & Lanie for being great hosts . In keeping with par my new reel got broke in by a pro (Lanie) with not one but two striper at the same time. Many thanx to all for a great time and a special thanx to Steve for letting me jump line and catch a nice fish on that new reel,it made my day even better!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts