Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is it about people with big boats, I mean 65' or so, who run at cruising speed right thru a fleet of boats chumming knocking people on their ass and generally causing mayhem. Happened north of the bridge towards Love Point saturday. And it wasnt just one but later on another one did the same thing. Both of them southbound.

·
Registered
264 Posts
I don't know what the answer is but it happens everyday out there. I cant even imagine what is going through their heads. We had a sailboat SAIL through the chumming fleet at podikery a couple weeks ago...You have 6 miles of open bay and they decided it was best to sail through 150 anchored boats...I don't get it man.

·
Premium Member
26,137 Posts
It is crazy how close large boats will run to an anchored group of boats fishing. I doubt they realize just how bad the wake is and chaos it can cause.

Few years ago - I was anchored about 100 feet away from friend in mud flats between Baltimore light and Love point on weekday morning.

More or less center of bay - far away from east or west marked channels. We watched a large 45-50 sportfisherman bearing down on us from south.

This guy went between us - talk about getting slammed by a 2-3 foot rolling wake.

Contacted the vessel owner on VHF # 16 - he told me he gave " sufficient room " to both of us. Easily 2 miles east or west he could go - but instead threads a needle by cruising between us.

·
Registered
13,984 Posts
Those people who have the 50+ foot boat know exactly how much of a wake they throw and exactly how it affects anchored boats. They just don't care. I see very few coming at speed, slowing for a cluster of anchored boats and resuming speed when passed..... Gary

·
Registered
203 Posts
Those 50' boats are not the only ones. Was on the Potomac about 2 months ago trolling. Was on a weekend so there were plenty of other boats out there as well. I look up and around the bend in the river comes a very Large hovercraft. And I mean he is cooking on along. Hard to give a best guess on his speed as I am not used to seeing anything that large moving at such high speed on the river. But I would guess he was going twice the speed of the best our little boat could have done so somewhere over 50.

Anyway, most of the boats trolling are working the Virginia side of the river. This thing comes around the bend and instead of heading over to the Maryland side to avoid everything he just keeps going straight so now all these folks trolling are trying to get around each other to get out of his way.

So a *******, is a ******* no matter what kind of boat he is in. Was neat to see this thing. Just wish it's Captain had left me willing to respect him.

·
Registered
319 Posts
I've said this before, get pictures and their hull number, if you can. If there's any injuries or damage caused by their wake, their responsible.

When it happens, because it will sooner or later, start your motor and turn bow into the wake. That will at least lesson the chaos.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Personally I think you should have pulled up next to them and started throwing sinkers at them. Just make sure I ain't around..... 😄
Thats funny, however I imagine if you got close enough to throw sinkers at them, I bet they'd be throwin lead back, but their lead goes much faster! It would be cool to see them up close though.

·
Registered
619 Posts
whats an anchor? :))

these guys crossed right in front of me. I got a picture and their hull numbers. Now what?

View attachment 210954
:rockon:
OK, I don't know where you got that photo. DDG 151 is the fictional USS NATHAN JAMES from the Last Ship, but it does not have an ASROC launcher on the bow. I don't know what the big ship on the right is, but we don't have any LPDs or LSDs or tenders with 4-digit hull numbers.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Don't complain. I fish in the Miles River near St. Michaels in June as soon as the rivers open up. There is a SeaRay parade every weekend.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts