Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week my motors seemed to be running rough- in fact the starboard one shut down about 1/2 mile from the ramp.Today I met Ed Miller ( great mobile Yamaha mechanic) 410 375-1638 at Truxton park boat ramp to see if he could figure out the problem.

I can not thank Ed enough for his help - he even answered his cell phone Sunday at the Ravens game to address one more question I had.He walked me through alot of trouble shooting/testing but I still had no luck getting the motors to run smooth.I changed all three filters and ran a fuel pressure check.Even though it was raining this morning-Ed and his helper (Matt) met me at the ramp.He knows how badly I want to go fishing.Ed uses a lap top computer and a very special test prop to diagnosis problems.We pulled the prop and found a nickel size piece of metal jammed in the hub :eek2:.

At first I thought it was a sinker that somehow got pulled in but once I felt it- realized it was aluminum and from the motor.Ed was certain it was a piece of a piston and once the plugs were pulled- he saw one spark plug was broken, clear indiction of a busted piston.This is not good but the addict in me figured I could still go with one motor until the end of the year- just have to fish close to the ramp and pick good weather days.Ed got the port motor running and did not like the way it was idling.His mechanic's ear could tell something was not quite right so he shut her down and Matt and I pulled the plugs in a steady drizzle.Two plugs showed tiny metal filings :eek2: - a sure sign of piston damage.No way to even think about using the port motor- my season came crashing to an abrupt end.

It is very likely Yamaha will cover the repairs under warranty-which is a blessing- won't know for a day or two.Ed's laptop downloaded all sorts of info that will go to Yamaha so they can see if the motors were abused or ran at very high RPM's and caused the damage- which is not the case.It was funny to see the amount of hours under 1,000 RPM that were on the motors from trolling so much.The computer print out showed everything -including a total of 905 hours.

Ed's best guess on the failure is that internal filters got clogged and allowed a piston to run lean and run too hot.My last trip I opened the motors up to WOT and this most likely caused the failure.The clogged filters did not allow enough fuel/oil into the lower pistons.

It sucks to miss the last two weeks of our Rock season - there is a very small chance everything could be done just before the 31st - I got my fingers crossed.If not - it was a great season.

FYI: Ed strongly recommends changing the main boat filter every 50 hours if cruising alot and no more then 75 hours if cruise/trolling.The E-10 fuel is causing crud to get into the filters deep inside the motors and changing the main often is the first line of defense.The secondary and VST should be changed around 300 hours or so.

The motors were designed before E-10 was a problem and the only way to avoid trouble is by using 10 micron filters.Even then - like in my case - you still might have troubles.

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
Sorry to hear your news Skip. No doubt your bmail will be full of invites though. Hope Yamaha warranty covers it for you.

·
Premium Member
2,642 Posts
skip.. "main boat filter" are you talking about the one with the circular piece of red plastic, i think the injectors has some form of filter? what year are the motors, 2 strokes ?

·
Registered
5,424 Posts
Sorry to hear that Skip, Yamaha was very good to me when I blew up a motor a few years back.
You will have hundreds of invites no doubt.

Jeff

·
Premium Member
26,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Capt. John - you should have a large filter inside the boat - the size of an oil filter.This should be a 10 Micron filter/water seperator.Be sure to carry a spare on the boat- plus a filter wrench.If you do not have a big filter- put one on ASAP.

The first filter inside the motor should be about a 3''x1 '' clear plasic bowl with the filter inside.You might need to swap this out to a newer 10 micron if your motor is older then 2006.After that filter- there is the VST - then an in line one right above the VST housing.After that one- each injector has it's own filter but you can not service these.There is also a filter deep on the high pressure fuel pump but again - no way to service it. ( Yes - Ed taught me ALOT this week :thumbup:).

My motors are 2005's - 2 stroke HPDI's.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm Starting to think that were not ment to go on a trip together. First the weather and now this:eek2: Guess we will have to hook up in the Spring. Good luck on the repairs.

·
Registered
1,094 Posts
skip, looks like you, dave, and andrea with have to come down here and fish southern maryland style-no heat, no curtains, sometimes not even time to eat donuts. invite is there, you have done a great deal to help me, just want to return the favor.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Skip sorry to hear the news will miss reading your reports. I just put my boat away for the winter or I would ask you to HO with me. I could use some schooling! Keep us posted on the warranty thing I have 08 yamaha's and am interested in how they own up to warranty issues.

·
Premium Member
26,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You had to bring up that I miss out fishing with Andrea - even if she is bundled up in a snow mobile suit :D. I'll call you tonight but that sounds very good right now.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
4,199 Posts
Hopefully Yamaha will take care of it for you that sounds like a costly fix.

I couldnt agree more about Edd,best Mechanic out there in my opinion.

·
Registered
235 Posts
So sorry to hear the bad news. Thankfully, they didn't go down in the middle of bad weather.

Your points on filters are well said.

Since I just listed mine for sale, I have a RACOR S3214 filter with the glass bowl and drain that does not fit my boat. Anyone want it, drop me a P/M and I'll send it to you. (Update...filter is spoken for)

John

·
Registered
2,619 Posts
Skip; what a bummer. 2008 has not been good to you. I hope everything works out well for you. I'd invite you out on my boat (still down Buzz's) but I don't catch near as many fish as you. At the end of the day, you would have had so much "down" time that you would have eaten sooooo many donuts, that you would be diabetic. Seriously; if you can get your hands on some insulin, your always welcome on my boat. best of luck; 5th (Marty)

·
Premium Member
1,682 Posts
Skip,

Horrible news! I have been there and I know how bad that sucks!!! Now you have me considering un-winterising for a trip or two!!!! Seriously!

Mark

·
Registered
2,226 Posts

Sorry to hear it Skip... Hopefully Yamaha will take care of it!

·
Registered
7,582 Posts
Skip, this hardly qualifies as a consolation prize, but we should do a canoe-Pickerel trip together soon. You know that you've been dying to get onboard Little Goose!:D

I sure hope that Yamaha covers it.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Sorry to hear about your motors:eek:

I hear the Rockfish in the area are throwing one huge party:beergood:

·
Registered
1,720 Posts
Skip sorry to hear Im in the same boat my new albe has a starboard velvet drive problem so now shes in the shop. break out another thou:eek:

·
Registered
8,605 Posts
I hope Yamaha squares you away under warranty and they are able to get the boat back to you soon. If not, you will have good motors for the spring and hopefully good for another 1000 hours or more

1 - 20 of 90 Posts