Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Issue 1-
I'm looking for a seat so that butt doesn't go numb when sitting in my kayak for 2hrs at a time. Sometimes in Fla the banks are too steep to stretch the 'ole legs out.

Issue 2-
any thoughts on cheap but effective scupper hole plugs?

Thanks and sorry to combine the two issues into one post.

·
Registered
575 Posts
1) I sit on the plastic in my T160i for up to 5 hours and it's not that bad. Actually, it's more comfortable than my last yak with a padded seat!

2) Scupper plugs are a waste of time. If you want to stay dry, buy a jonboat. You WILL get wet on a SOT kayak.

Tom

·
Registered
2 Posts
1) I use a Yakpad gel seat cushion on my Tarpon 140. Butt hasn't gone numb after 8 hours in the estuary. Also cushions the back.

2) I agree with wpvboat.

·
Registered
284 Posts
(1) Apex seat from Crack of Dawn
(2) If you want to use scupper plugs use the little nerf balls that shoot out of kids toy guns, they have them at BPS and Toys R' Us.
Chad

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Grouseboy, the yak saddle looks very promising.

I should have been more clear, I welcome getting wet espcially in the heat [grin]. I was looking to plug the holes in the back so that my stuff doesn't sit in water. Even when it's in a dry bag my stuff get damps with the humidity in the heat and water. I may just have to deal with it. The gel seat is something I may pick up.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I wouldn't plug the holes in the tankwell if that's what you are talking about. If you get swamped by a wave a tankwell full of water will impair your balance.

·
Registered
11,070 Posts
Just buy a type 4 cushion(life preserver) and sit on that,it will raise you above the water,add comfort & extra buoyancy.

·
Registered
255 Posts
If you get swamped just scoop the water, pull the plug, or some people use a sponge. I don't like my tackle or gear laying in water either, especially salt water. I pull the plugs in skinny water and let the water flow out and then put the plug back in and get back in my yak.

I bought my plugs from Capt Dick and you can get a hot seat at wro for $25.00

http://www.captdick.net/

·
Registered
26 Posts
I paddle a T140 and have used foam pool noodles cut to fit the scuppers and rubber plugs I bought at KFS. Both work ok but I like the way the foam plugs can be flush with the floor of the cockpit. For the seat, I got the Padz foam seat. It's pretty thin but enough to take the edge off a long day on the water. Incidentally, I heard that Wilderness Systems is coming out with add-on seat/back pads for the Tarpons. Anybody else heard that?

Steve

·
Registered
457 Posts
pick yourself up some cork from somewhere like Mikels or some other craft store for the scuppers. I dont mind getting wet in the heat ,but not this time of year.

DARREN

·
Registered
41 Posts
Tailing,
I have the 140 and I weigh 250 so I had 2-3 inches of water at the very front of the well. I tried foam and a number of other things but settled on the close cell practice golf ball at Walmart.
You get 4 to a pack. I threaded a heavy piece of cord through the center, tied a knot then forced them into the holes. If I need to pull them out for what ever reason, they are tied off so they don't get loss. It works great and is cheap. When you get the golf balls, look in the fishing section for some cord which is about 1/8 diam. on a spool of 50-100 ft for a couple of bucks. You can use the rest for tying off anything you need to while under way ie. paddles, rods, gaff etc. Good Luck!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Oh yea I should mention that tyhe biggest reason I use scupper plugs is because the hand hole inside the cockpit is a poor design that passes water to the inside of my yak with the scuppers out so I use the plugs.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I guess you guys are doing something different than me. I usually have to wade out knee deep before I get in the thing. Legs already wet, dripping in the yak. Legs not cold because of waders and clothes underneath. Then get washed over by a couple ship wakes or some slop caused by wind and current coming together. I will say that the 160 has a sloped floor so most of the water stays right around the scupper holes and the 4" hatch does not leak like on the 120. Suber, you should glue that thing shut.

Tom

·
Registered
165 Posts
120 is very different boat from the 160....big guys like suber and I need to plug those scuppers or water WILL go into the center hatch... my plugs have strings on them to pull if i get flooded...so far only a rough surf launch was the only time i have done that.

Chris from ND...

ohh yeah...the hot seat is awesome in the tarpon, gives you a dry,comfy ride.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ditto for me on why I plug my scuppers. That center hatch inside the cockpit is darn near useless.

I use sections of pool noodle I cut and stuff in. I have 2 WS plugs for two of the scuppers though, so if a rapid does swamp the boat I can pull and drain.

I wouldn't plug the tankwell scuppers. If you worry about tackle sitting in water, add some stubby legs to your crate with PVC or something to raise it slightly. If you have a milkcrate in there on top of the scupper plugs, getting them out in a hurry could be problematic. As stated, you don't want to try paddling with a tankwell full of water for any distance.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Ditto for me on why I plug my scuppers. That center hatch inside the cockpit is darn near useless.

I use sections of pool noodle I cut and stuff in. I have 2 WS plugs for two of the scuppers though, so if a rapid does swamp the boat I can pull and drain.

I wouldn't plug the tankwell scuppers. If you worry about tackle sitting in water, add some stubby legs to your crate with PVC or something to raise it slightly. If you have a milkcrate in there on top of the scupper plugs, getting them out in a hurry could be problematic. As stated, you don't want to try paddling with a tankwell full of water for any distance.

·
Registered
65 Posts

·
Registered
210 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks tons guys!! Talk about great insights. fortunately none of the solutions offered is a bank-breaker. I'll probably star out with noodles and nerf balls. The crack of dawn seat is a great name !!!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts