Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be visiting Wild Dunes the last week in June. What type of fish can I expect to catch? I have a 17 foot boat and several small childern (with short attention spans). I understand that Spanish may in the ocean....anything else in the back creeks or in close that time of year? Any information and tactics would be helpful as I fish predominantly in the Chesapeake Bay area and know nothing of SC saltwater fishing.

·
Registered
24 Posts
George,
See my other threads on this board for tips--there are some Spanish, tiny blues, tarpon and Pompano this time of year on the harbor/outside. Your best bet with the family is to fish the tidal creeks and the ICW. Be careful of the tides--you may want to fish from dead low on up so you don't get stuck. Also, note that it is blistering hot in the afternoon right now.

Buy some live bait and fish on popping corks and Texas or Carolina rigs (just like the bass type only with 3/4 egg sinkers. If you have a cast net, you can catch plenty.

I use Khale style hooks. Anchor up at the creek mouths in about 5 feet of water (maybe 3 if you come at low tide). You should be pretty successful on trout and flounder... and maybe some good reds. If you're not sure about location, just do what the other boats are doing. Key is a noticably moving creek--fish will stack at the mouth and around the oyster bars. If you can get near some structure like a deep dock or channel marker, throw a live shrimp on a jig head and be ready to strike a sheep's head within seconds.

The other thread talks about lures.

Good luck and tight lines!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts