Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have observed many schools of very large (10-14 inches) menhaden throughout the Eastern Bay including Crab Alley and mouth of Cox. They surface as if they are being chased to the top. There are no birds (as this bait is too big). I have fished under and around these schools with very large (7-9 inch) storm/plastics on large jigheads without any bites.

Question:
Are fish feeding on these schools forcing them to the surface? If so, how can they be caught?

·
Registered
2,218 Posts
I have observed many schools of very large (10-14 inches) menhaden throughout the Eastern Bay including Crab Alley and mouth of Cox. They surface as if they are being chased to the top. There are no birds (as this bait is too big). I have fished under and around these schools with very large (7-9 inch) storm/plastics on large jigheads without any bites.

Question:
Are fish feeding on these schools forcing them to the surface? If so, how can they be caught?
they are not- that is their normal feeding behavior. however i did catch a few nice fish around a school last night.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Agree with shoot straight. There are a couple things to consider/look for. If rockfish are feeding on those big menhaden it is an unmistakable sight. Really big splashes including being able to see the fish feeding on them. Second there are sometimes schools of menhaden that rock will swim near/under when they are on top so use you fish finder. If I am not seeing big splashes or marking fish I don't stay long. Good Luck next time!

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
I haven't been out in awhile but that's good news. I occasionally fish the mouth of cox creek, from pier, and now you've given me a little hope that maybe some fish are still in the area.

-Evans

1 - 5 of 5 Posts