Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how much work is involved with a boat that has 2-350 chevy mercruiser outdrives that are seized from sitting? is this a problem that you have to remove the boat from the water to fix? how about a price range? major or minor problems i may have with it. i am new to the boating world and would appreciate any information that would help me make a wise decision. thanks:helpsmilie:

·
Registered
477 Posts
10k for 2 new long blocks is a good start but probably not the end. If you are thinking about buying a boat in that condition, RUN! If you already own it you have my sympathy. A boat that was properly laid up & maintained would'nt have siezed. Since that one did you gotta wonder what else is shot.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
IMHO, this is not a project for someone new to boating. There is no way to accurately predict what it will cost to remedy the problem(s). In addition, you're looking at months of decisions, anxiety and frustration. Save your money and pay for pleasure, not headaches.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
as above. run. even if you get it free. years of headaches and unexpected coin. only way i would consider is if you are going to do the work yourself and have plenty of free time and you're in no hurry to get in the water with it.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
New to boating and you want to jump in with rebuilding a boat with 2 siezed engines and possibly outdrives ?????? Your wise decision would be to not even get into this situation.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i appreciate the advice from everyone, the deal sounded to good to be true. If I hadn't posted my question on here i might have ended up buying it. thanks again all

·
Registered
196 Posts
Only way I would even think about a deal like that is if you got the boat for next to nothing...or if not free. Plan on spending at least 10 grand. And alot of headache. You can buy a nice lightly used or new boat for nothing down and 300 month. 10 grand will buy you alot of payments and comfort of knowing your on the water with something newer or a new boat completely. I did the buy a old boat and repower it and fix it up routine. 2 years later........8k poorer......3-4 mechanics later that did poor work...ended up selling it to someone just like me that was looking for a "DEAL". I took the money and bought a new boat two years ago with bought 5 year fact warranty on everything and never looked back. Fished my tail off for two summers in a row without one single problem with my boat. That is a PRICELESS feeling. Just can't help to think what else the owner was neglecting to boat, electronics, hull, fuel tank ect. I'm not saying it cant be done but if you listen and talk to others that have been down that road its a rocky one. Good luck to you what ever you decide.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Wanted to make sure I understood correctly....are the outdrives seized or are the engines seized .....or are both seized? Either way you got good advice.......run!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts