Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a boat, engine and trailer from a guy in PA. I am taking the engine off and putting it on another boat. The boat is titled in Delaware and the trailer is titled in PA. I want to sell the boat and trailer, after I remove the engine. Can I sell the boat and trailer without titling/registering them in my name? If so, what is the process? I have a notarized bill of sale and title from seller.

Thanks, Steven

·
Registered
177 Posts
I'm pretty sure you will have to register the boat and trailer in your name in order to sell it to someone else, in addition to pay state taxes.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
what state are you in? if it is MD , the Md DNR will want to collect from you, their share of taxes that is owed to them (excise tax on boat, title fees ) before you resell it.
the Maryland DMV will also want to collect from you, the sales tax & title fees that is due on the trailer.

has the DMV & DNR transfered titles without collecting the taxes.
Yes. but only because the first buyer gave the second buyer the titles & the second buyers transferred the titles from the original seller to themselves without informing the DNR. & DMV. of the first buyer.

if DMV & DNR want to see bills of sale they wont accept a bill of sale from you to your buyer because you are not named on the titles,

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I just bought a boat, engine and trailer from a guy in PA. I am taking the engine off and putting it on another boat. The boat is titled in Delaware and the trailer is titled in PA. I want to sell the boat and trailer, after I remove the engine. Can I sell the boat and trailer without titling/registering them in my name? If so, what is the process? I have a notarized bill of sale and title from seller.

Thanks, Steven
Let me know how you are pitching the buyer, I've tried " Yeah, I don't have a title for none of it, but just go down to the marina, and pick out the one you like, and I'll make you a killer deal" Having a little trouble closing, can't imagine why...:hysterical:

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
Last I checked, you pay taxes when you *register* the boat or trailer, not when you title it.

Since you're not planning on titling them in Maryland, just sign the existing DE and PA titles over to the next person, and they pay the taxes when they register it.

The existing PA and DE titles should have a series of re-assignment sections on them. Just fill in the one below the one that the person who sold them to you did.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Last I checked, you pay taxes when you *register* the boat or trailer, not when you title it.

Since you're not planning on titling them in Maryland, just sign the existing DE and PA titles over to the next person, and they pay the taxes when they register it.

The existing PA and DE titles should have a series of re-assignment sections on them. Just fill in the one below the one that the person who sold them to you did.
Look on the back of your Md titles, in md only a dealer can reassign a title without paying taxes & fees, md collects their tax & fees due when title passes from 1 party to another, not when registration is purchased. in md only the owner or dealer may legally pass title to another individual. the owner is the person named on the title. if i do not title a vessel in my name then legally i don't own it & I cannot sell it to someone else.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Look on the back of your Md titles, in md only a dealer can reassign a title without paying taxes & fees, md collects their tax & fees due when title passes from 1 party to another, not when registration is purchased. in md only the owner or dealer may legally pass title to another individual. the owner is the person named on the title. if i do not title a vessel in my name then legally i don't own it & I cannot sell it to someone else.
Duh! Pay your taxes.

·
Registered
4,127 Posts
It turns out that the other posters are correct. If you're not a dealer, you have to title the vehicle yourself (and pay the taxes) before transferring the title to another person.

Since, in your case, it was the engines that were of the most value, it would probably help you from a tax perspective to get an itemized bill of sale from the seller listing prices separately for the boat, motors, and trailer. That way, when you're titling the boat and trailer, you're only taxed on the value of that component.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for everyone's response. I went to the MD DMV & DNR today to get clarification on taxes and selling the trailer and boat. Yes, I have to get a title for the trailer and boat and pay taxes to sell. So, I dropped $250 on something that I will never use just to resell. The tax man almost always wins. The only good thing was, that I was in and out of the Annapolis DMV & DNR in less that an hour. Hope to have the Grady White and tandem trailer in the classifieds for sale in the next week or two.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts