Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems that Senator Maime Locke form Hampton is trying to generate money and has introduced a bill in the senate to allow local communities to require the registration of boats. This would be in addition to the registration now required by the state of Virginia.

I guess Hampton wants to make it look as though Richmond is tha bad guy as they try to get this bill passed and generate money locally since the boating community would squawk if the property tax was to go up. Doing this could place yet another tax burden on all boat owners in the state of Virginia.

This is scheduled for January 2009.

Here's the link;

LIS > Bill Tracking > SB820 > 2009 session

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I anticipate more such attempts to pass additional taxes, since the states are gonna have to borrow from the Feds to balance their books at a time of near-Depression. There's only one way they can pay the Feds back and that is to raise taxes locally and in the state. I saw a guy on Fox News the other day, who predicted this very thing would happen, especially as unemployment lines get longer.

Ironic that people are losing their jobs, yet the government wants to increase their taxes to pay for services! Maybe it's time to cut the numbers of state troopers, lower legislator's salaries and budgets, and reduce Professor salaries at state-run universities (who have been raising tuition rates for 10 years, faster than the rate of inflation...), all as a starting point.

Without the same amount of tax money coming in, how can the state think they should maintain the same level of "services"?

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
From Sandtiger:
"Maybe it's time to cut the numbers of state troopers, lower legislator's salaries and budgets, and reduce Professor salaries at state-run universities (who have been raising tuition rates for 10 years, faster than the rate of inflation...), all as a starting point."

AND:
Million $$ Bicycle paths from Richmond to Williamsburg, support for the Arts, welfare to able persons. The fed could reduce/cut off foriegn aid to unfriendly or wealthy nations and cut monies to non-essential, wasteful, idiotic log-rolling pet projects.
Kaine announced his buget cuts and where do you suppose they are to be made? -- EDUCATION AND HIGHWAYS. Two items he and Mark Warner both identified as critical needs for Virginians.
I guess stupid is as stupid does.:wacko:
budc

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have no trouble with additional taxes but they should not be trying to balance the budget on a small group like boat owners. If you want to balance the budget raise the rate on real estate or car taxes which will spread the load much more evenly. I urge you to go to the General Assembly website and email your Senator. It is very easy. Here is the email I sent to my State Senator who sits on the committee that will hear this bill:

I am a resident of Midlothian and am writing you about a bill that has been prefiled and has been assigned to the Agriculture Committee of which you are a member and that bill is SB 820. SB 820 would allow localities to enact local boat registration fees for motorboats that they already collect personal property tax on. I have found in my time as a boat owner that the localities already take advantage of us boat owners by inflating the assessed values of boats, assessing them at "book values" that could never be actually attained in an actual sale. Right now Middlesex County assesses my boat at $6,000 dollars when I purchased it for $500! And I have attempted to appeal it and they say that because a value guide says that is what it is worth that is what they can charge. We already pay high personal property tax bills on our boats. And we are responsible for State Registration Fees already. Not only that the localities could apparently impose whatever fee they wished if this bill were to become law as the bill contains no limits as to the amount of the fee that could be imposed. It is bad enough that we pay such high personal property taxes and registration fees already, but now each locality could take another bit. We boat owners pay more than our fair share now. The localities should implement tax burdens that spread the load among larger groups of people instead of trying to balance their budgets on the backs of a few. I urge you to oppose SB 820 when it is before the Agriculture Committee in the upcoming General Assembly session.

·
Registered
4,381 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have no trouble with additional taxes but they should not be trying to balance the budget on a small group like boat owners. If you want to balance the budget raise the rate on real estate or car taxes which will spread the load much more evenly. I urge you to go to the General Assembly website and email your Senator. It is very easy. Here is the email I sent to my State Senator who sits on the committee that will hear this bill:

I am a resident of Midlothian and am writing you about a bill that has been prefiled and has been assigned to the Agriculture Committee of which you are a member and that bill is SB 820. SB 820 would allow localities to enact local boat registration fees for motorboats that they already collect personal property tax on. I have found in my time as a boat owner that the localities already take advantage of us boat owners by inflating the assessed values of boats, assessing them at "book values" that could never be actually attained in an actual sale. Right now Middlesex County assesses my boat at $6,000 dollars when I purchased it for $500! And I have attempted to appeal it and they say that because a value guide says that is what it is worth that is what they can charge. We already pay high personal property tax bills on our boats. And we are responsible for State Registration Fees already. Not only that the localities could apparently impose whatever fee they wished if this bill were to become law as the bill contains no limits as to the amount of the fee that could be imposed. It is bad enough that we pay such high personal property taxes and registration fees already, but now each locality could take another bit. We boat owners pay more than our fair share now. The localities should implement tax burdens that spread the load among larger groups of people instead of trying to balance their budgets on the backs of a few. I urge you to oppose SB 820 when it is before the Agriculture Committee in the upcoming General Assembly session.
Thank you for writing. I, too, wrote a letter to my representatives. This bill is also in the House as HB 820. I encourage everyone to write to both delegate and senator.

Again thanks.

·
Registered
131 Posts
There is a local RV/boat storage yard in Hampton which markets itself by stating that the City of Hampton has no personal property tax on recreational items.

An incentive to store at Hampton Boat & RV involves personal tax savings. "Hampton does not have a personal- property tax on boats," *** says. "Property tax is based on where the property is located. If the boat is stored in Hampton, owners do not pay tax, and RV personal-property tax is minimal compared to surrounding communities." Customers living in other areas save enough in personal-property tax to cover the cost of storing their boat or RV. *** heavily promotes this advantage at regional boat and RV shows.

I could be wrong, but I know of no other jusidiction that offers these incentives. Maybe the senator needs to look to his own locality to pay their share of taxes.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The senator is a she and maybe she wants the local registration tax so localities including Hampton can stick it to boat owners but Hampton can still claim they have no personal property tax on boats. Just a guess on my part. Maybe she should spend a day at a busy boat ramp and see how many rich fat cats are putting their "megayachts" over for a day of fishing with friends and family.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Well then Hampton should just impose the personal property tax on boats like every other county. The guy at the Marina next to me takes his boat to Hampton every year from Christmas to the end of January. The law says that the boat has to be in the County where it is registered on Jan 1st for that County to impose tax. So he keeps it in Middlesex where they have a personal property tax 11 months out of the year and takes it to Hampton one month a year and avoids all payment of tax. Totally legal apparently.

·
Registered
131 Posts
From the City of Hampton website. If my math is correct, a boat assessed at $50,000 is less than 1 penny in annual tax

City of Hampton, Assessments and Collections - Tax Rates

Tax on Boats & Personal Watercraft

Boats are assessed at fair market value, generally derived by applying a percentage to the total original cost. The tax rate for privately owned pleasure boats and watercraft used for recreational purposes is $.000001 per $100 of assessed value. The tax rate for all other boats and watercraft is $1.00 per $100 of assessed value.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts