Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
George, Ettouffe, care to explain the details of the failure to agree? I didn't think so...

·
14,062 Posts
Short version: Democratic filibuster. They want an open border and a path to citizenship for all illegals. Republicans wanted stricter border control and the denial of entry and citizenship to felons and people with a long criminal history. For some reason, democrats oppose those...

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
At least two of your facts are untrue. You're lumping all Dems. into a group and all Pubs. into another. That is totally inaccurate, but not surprising. A solution will require compromise and compromise requires leadership. Therein lies the problem.

·
14,062 Posts
A filibuster requires 60 votes to break. Republicans don't have it. You're wrong Ettouffe, just admit it. Democrats are obstructing because people like you will overlook who is obstructing, and blame everybody, and we're all the worse for it.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
CaptG you are correct I was taking the easy path. I cannot take a individual poll of each Congress person and therefore judge accurately. I feel both parties are culpable and the conundrum befuddles both sides of the aisle. A comprise may ensue but it will, as usual, be ineffectual for it to be effective it will anger some Latino voters. This problem is about as current as the Mexican American war and the dispartiy in birth rates.
Fritzer...really nothing new from you.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Excuse me for not being as up to speed on this as many of you... but aren't there already laws regarding illegal immigration? Do we really need more? Why aren't we enforcing them? Who's in charge?

·
14,062 Posts
[q]...
It's not gone forward because there's a political advantage for Democrats not to have an immigration bill," said Senate Judiciary Committee Chairman Arlen Specter, R-Pa.

He said Democrats perceive a benefit in having only a GOP-written House bill that criminalizes being an illegal immigrant. That bill has prompted massive protests across the country, including a march by 500,000 people in Los Angeles last month.
[/q]

http://www.breitbart.com/news/2006/04/07/D8GR7L20E.html

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
We have a system in place that can divert Cat Stevens plane but keeping 7 million illegals out is beyond our capabilities. Yea we need new laws... it's all the dems fault.

·
Registered
5,559 Posts
I guess its totally out of the question to insist that Congress enforce the laws currently on the books. Legislation of new laws which subsequently will not be enforced, once the media spot light moves to something else, is futile.

World News Network had a different take:
Today, according to the American Immigration Lawyers Association, most immigrants continue to bring a strong sense of family, education and a work ethic to the U.S. They are less likely to divorce and they earn $240 billion a year-$90 billion is paid in various taxes, while only $5 billion is spent on welfare and hospitalization. Immigrants start 18% of new business and in 2000, less than 2% of the worlds immigrants migrated to America.

My question: Is some of the blame for such problems as medical care delivery being placed at the feet of immigrants while big business is actually at fault but does not want the spot light on them.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts