Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fish Nags Head and the Oregon Inlet area for my whole life. I am going to go fish in September on vacation for the first time. I usually go in July, November and mid spring.
I have a 20 ft. wellcraft cc that I have taken to about 5 miles offshore and throughout the whole Chesapeake.
Question is, I need some target species that will keep me busy. What and where does anyone recommend? Larger species especially.

·
Registered
805 Posts
With a 20ft. boat you need to pick your days out of OI. There are several ARs about 8nm and some closer-in for some bottom fishing. If conditions are not favorable outside of the inlet for your boat, heat down to Hatteras and do the inshore thing for best results.

Good luck.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
OTA, I have been fishing down that way for many years and with the boat I have I can only fish the inlet and I have had good luck. We leave for the Outter Banks September 24th and will be fishing that whole week, weather permitting. We caught some very nice trout and flounder last year in the sound just hope we can get into this year. September can be a very good month to fish the inlet. If you are going that week maybe we can hook up. The best bait we have found to use is live mullet but you have to catch them yourself. Best of luck

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Spearo. Take the boat down to Hatteras in put in at Teach's Lair. The inlet and channels are thick with flounder and trout and they have been trolling lots of spanish and blues right off the beach.

Last time we were down we caught some kings about 5 miles out on our way back in from the blue.

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I like the inlet and the sound fishing, its always a toss up on whats gonna bite. My wife likes the sound only but my buddies and I like the inlet and ocean.
I have fished the coastline every time that I take my boat down, weather permitting, Lots of spanish and blues this time of year.
I was wondering how the cobia and king bite is?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Steve....grow a pair!![grin]

That Skiff is fine to go out in the Ocean with. My brother has the 21 DLX, and had it 18-20 miles out on several days during our vacation.

Just giving you a hard time...whatever you're comfortable with is what you should do. But OI can be some phenomenal fishing in September. Lots of fun things to do, without going through the swells.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
Butthead, Last year in OC I had the Ole Skiff out 7 miles and it did great the only problem with the OI is it can get perty hairy heading in or out. Those Skiff can take a beating but can your body do the same[grin] I would not give my Skiff up for anything and yes the fishing is great down there in Septmeber.

OTA- What day in September are you going down??????

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Scheduled for the week of the 18th. I stay in South Nags Head, no stores, no bypass, close to Outer banks pier and 5minutes from OI or the sound.

·
Registered
328 Posts
well september is when there are to many species to choose from...If you wanna go outside for kings pick a good day and upscale your spoons a little that you use for blues and spanish..same thing with planers or inline weights...king fishing gets better by the week in september.....cobia are a bit more hit and miss..... they will be heading south but never a sure bet...look for turtles and big mantas or schools of cow nose as cobia are like the last goose in the v looking for an easy ride with an easy meal and will be enjoying the easy swim with all the food that they will flush for them...check the buoys on your way in and out especially if the currents are slack as they like to come up and show themselves better when they dont have to fight the current and most cobia fishermen are in the woods with a bow in their hand leaving them for the lucky passer by.inshore it is grey trout,big spot,croakers,flounder,blues,puppy drum,lizard fish(steves favorite),pig fish(firefish's favorite).bring a cast net as match the hatch has never been more true then when fishing fall run fish on the outer banks....shhhhhhhhhhh night fishing in the sloughs can produce the best grey trout catches you could hope for while being in protected waters......while early am is good for the speckle trout.....hope you decide which ones you wanna go after before you launc the boat.....[grin]

·
Registered
399 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Richard, I am starting to look forward to this trip.
A King would be great, haven't caught one in about 15 yrs ( Pier)
My wife tells me that MORE people are coming to stay with us now.

I believe I will fish, and then I will fish again, and again etc.

·
Premium Member
7,830 Posts
OK Richard I know what you did now, you put us in the wrong area and just waited for us to leave then you got into them. You need to listen to Richard this guys really know his sh## and what a great guy to boot. Looking forward to hooking up with you again Richard and we are counting the days, just save me a few of those lizard fish and I know Robs looking forward to catching those PIGS. See you the week of the 24th

1 - 14 of 14 Posts