Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems like everytime I catch a spec. trout I've been fishing for something else. Now it seems I am going out to catch specs. and I need some advice on gear and bait. Any suggestions?:eek2:

·
Registered
157 Posts
I use a 6'6" light spinning rod with 10lb test. The lure I use is Tsuname stright tailed jig in bunker color. Cast the jig out and let it sink all the way to the bottom. As I take up slack I yo-yo it letting it sink to the bottom again. I repet this proccess all the way to the boat. If the spec are hard to bite I will put a piece of bait on the jig or some of the artifical stuff. The old timers told me there are days they will not hit a casted jig so they troll when this happens. Hope this will help. Know most of the spec fisherman want to keep there ways to them self but I learned from some and want to pass it along.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I've had lots of luck with the Berkley Gulp 3" grub in the chart color and a red 1/4 - 1/2 oz jighead. Like to cast to the structures and slow jig it to the boat or find grass lines along the shoreline and let it sink to the bottom and slow retrieve with a few jerks of the rod tip every 6-7 handle rotations. I like using a 7'6" medium 1-piece 10-17lb spinning setup with yozuri 8lb test line. I use a piece of Florocarbon if the water is really clear or shallow. Also, like to use surface Mirror Lures and work the grass lines. My favorite color is Purple Phantom or Black.

Hope this helps.

Tight Lines

·
Registered
9,443 Posts
If it ain't chartreuse, thar ain't no use !

On a serious note. As mentioned above it is a good idea to have various colored grubs and Mirro-Lures. Keep switching until you find something that (hopefully)works. I generally use spinning reels. Penn 4300's with 10# mono.

I vary the speed on retrieve and also vary the depth of the lure depending on conditions such as current, water depth, etc;

One thing to remember is to keep things quite. If you decide to anchor up DO NOT throw the anchor over the side, ease it into the water. These fish spook easily.

Dennis:D

·
Premium Member
4,887 Posts
Gear: Light to Med/Light Spinning rod, 4-10 lb. test line... Mono line.

Lures: 1/8 - 1/2 oz jig heads w/twister and paddle tail grubs/shads. 3" Storm type lures. Mirro-Lures. Live Gudgeons/mullet/bunker under a float. And the list goes on! Heck, I bet I've got 20 different plastics, White/Red/Orange/Chart. jig heads in 4 different sizes, ~ 7 differnt color Mirro-Lures w/at least 2 of each color (would hate to lose one and not have a back-up), 2 bags of each color/tail type storm in 3-4" size, and a TON of hooks/floats... ALL THIS FOR ONE FISH! I don't think there's any other fish in our area that I have as wide an assortment of baits for. The sad part is I could probably throw most of it in the trash, as there are only a handfull of "go to" baits that I've actually caught fish on!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Gear: med action spin, 20lb power pro green, 20 lb. flouro. leader
Power pro is much more sensitive, allowing you to feel more bites when fishing with jigs, use as light of a jig as possible, they seem to like a jig sinking with current as opposed to plummetting straight down to bottom. PP also casts much further, allowing you to stay further from a spooky fish. Gulp 4'' mullet in smoke or chart. topwater plugs take fewer but much larger specimens, try spooks (both super and baby), skitter walks, storm chug bugs, and Top dogs. Also have some suspending lures, rapala x-rap, fish with twitches and pauses alllowing lure to drift with current, hopefully over structure!! Release all large specs (<3lb), as these fish take a long time to grow and the larger females produce the largest numbers and most viable eggs!!!!!

·
Registered
111 Posts
Like others have mentioned, there are a lot of different lures you can use and on any given day you may have to try an assortment before you find something they like. With that said, my "go-to" last year was a Fin-S on a 1/4 oz unpainted jig head.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts