Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I decided to make the trip down to Annapolis this morning to fish the Severn. The marine forecast was calling for 10-15 WNW gusting to 20 with a small craft advisory, but a few other sites showed less wind on the west side of the bay, so we decided to give it a shot. It was blowing about 10 out of the west this morning, but it really layed down for most of the day. Fishing was very slow this morning, but improved steadily with the incoming tide. My dad seemed to catch all the big fish today. I was incharge of clearing all of the small white perch out of the vicinity. ;) We didn't catch a lot of pickerel, but the were all nice fish. We also used our new fishfinder/gps/chartplotter and trolling motor for the first time. The new electronics are very nice and the trolling motor sure beats the hell out of the push pole!

Chris Detweiler - Harrisburg, PA

Attachments

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
I know where you were !!!;-)

Nice Severn Pike!

I'll be in the canoe mid-morning Sunday (tomorrow) with either my possible future brother-in-law (if he's man enough for yet another round of meet-the-family), or my daughter (since I know she's tough). I'll be fishing the far-upper-Severn.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'll be in the canoe mid-morning Sunday (tomorrow) with either my possible future brother-in-law (if he's man enough for yet another round of meet-the-family), or my daughter (since I know she's tough). I'll be fishing the far-upper-Severn.
Just tell that future brother-in-law to "man up" and get in the boat! ;)

That spot was actually our second stop today. We started in another pond earlier this morning, but it was low tide and nothing was happening. The bite really turned on this afternoon. Unfortunately, we ran out of daylight...

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I know that area too. Close to a good friend of mine.

Nice work guys, and great looking flies. :thumbup: Were all of your fish caught via the fly?

The bite really turned on this afternoon.
Fishing was very slow this morning, but improved steadily with the incoming tide.
I have to believe that the pickerel, at least in my experience this time of year, are more in tune with temperature rather than tide. Maybe that is why it turned on in the afternoon.

I have also had some of my best pickerel days fishing Chris' favorite time of day, deadlowtide. And have also done better in the sunny spots rather than the shade.

Come spring, I have had success during all tidal phases, with some of my bigger fish coming during high water though.

I got 5 today, biggest at 22", and my buddy SONEIL caught 3 with his best at 22" also.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Nice work guys, and great looking flies. :thumbup: Were all of your fish caught via the fly?
Thanks. We caught verything on flies. Pink and chartreuse seemed to be the ticket, althought I caught quite a few white perch on the olive & yellow pattern (baby yellow perch). That spot is close to a friend of mine too. ;) Didn't mean to give up any secret spots!

Chris

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thanks for the post Chris. This is the kind of stuff that makes me want to get out on the river for some light tackle action.
Greg - Looks like the cold weather is bringin' some good stuff. Nice Pullage.

·
Registered
151 Posts
nice work on the flies and the fish!
and not to worry - that spot is no secret!
Did you catch the pickeral up along the shore or out on the grass beds?
I've seen em both places.

Dave

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Yep not too many secret spots left on the river since Greg has tagged everyone's boat with GPS:fishing2::D:D. Nice work Chris.

-Evans

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
:D - no doubt we all spend too much time on the river.All that needs to be in the background is one detail and we all smile- knowing the exact spot :pp.

Very nice catching and on a flyrod yet- WOW :clapping2::clapping2:.Thanks for details about tide/bite/time of day :yes: - really helps out.

IMHO - Yellow Perch in winter are one one the most striking fish to photograph- colors are really vivid.

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
JPW showed me that spot. Since I'm not a "local", I didn't want to give up any secrets! :) We've fished some other ponds with mixed success. We usually put in at Truxton Park when we come down in the winter. Next time, we'll have to keep heading north and explore a bit...

Corddry: The smaller one pictured was up on the shore. The biger one was in the grass beds just off the channel. It followed the fly right to the boat. When my dad started to lift the rod to pull the line out of the water, it just exploded on the fly! Surprised the sh*t out of both of us!!!

27 Sailfish: Agreed. Those yellow perch are just beautiful fish.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
JPW showed me that spot
Waters close to home are always good. ;-)

My son and his buddy go out with me quite often, often times so they can help me locate or find new spots, but we always manage to return and stop at the mouth of our creek to fish "Old Reliable"; the name they gave to a particular spot that always seems to hold a wide variety of fish.

Why do we normally always have luck here? Because we've fished it often and know it. And because of its convenience, it has always been an area that is often never overlooked. We hit it on the way out and on the way in when looking elsewhere.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
JPW showed me that spot. Since I'm not a "local", I didn't want to give up any secrets! :) We've fished some other ponds with mixed success. We usually put in at Truxton Park when we come down in the winter. Next time, we'll have to keep heading north and explore a bit...

Corddry: The smaller one pictured was up on the shore. The biger one was in the grass beds just off the channel. It followed the fly right to the boat. When my dad started to lift the rod to pull the line out of the water, it just exploded on the fly! Surprised the sh*t out of both of us!!!

27 Sailfish: Agreed. Those yellow perch are just beautiful fish.

Who wants to feesh Monday afternoon? I'm taking off Mon and Tues and the weather looks terrific on Monday. Trying a few ponds seems like a good idea.

Chris, I've had many a Pickerel follow my lure to the boat or even right up to my legs when I'm wading, but I almost never get them to strike in that situation. Maybe stopping the lure for a sec isn't a bad tactic.

I remember when I was very young fishing with my grandfather in Michigan, he would practically stick his rod in the water and do a fast figure-eight pattern before taking the lure out of the water. It was supposed to entice followers (Pike or Muskie) to strike. Unfortunately, it never worked when I was watching....although once a Muskie the size of a large log just sat by the boat as though he'd prefer to wait for me to fall in rather than eating a little lure.:eek:

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Goose I might be able to swing a Monday afternoon fish with ya. I'm working on the E Shore up at Washington College and should be back around the way betwee 1:30 and 2:30. If you need a HO let me know I'd be glad to slipt the electric on your trolling motors with ya:D We can plug one in at my house:D

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I've always heard about the figure eight thing too. I think I heard it from Al Lindner. ;-)

I have had it work several times while fishing from the pier. It may depend on how close you do it to your boat. That large presence may spook them.

I may be out on Monday and Tuesday as well, depending on what SWMBO has to say or has planned for me. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
26,104 Posts
One old school trick for followers is to keep a big minnow right beside the boat under a bobber- maybe 3-4 feet down.It will get hit often by fish you do not see follow your lure to the boat.

Nothing better then to suddenly not see the bobber :yes: that a follower grabbed.

·
Registered
424 Posts
...or if you're fishing a lure like a suspending jerkbait (minnow) and you see one follow the lure to the boat. In that instance, I just stop reeling and let the lure sit dead still for a 10-count, then give a slight twitch, and wham.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
That only works early in March Chris. :D

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com
693 Posts
Hi Chris (Detweiler)--

Great pix. Sorry to miss you & Jack out there. Hope you'll get another shot or two at them, and let me know if you're coming down. Wish you two could get to an SRRKC meeting, but I guess that's about as likely as me getting back to another Doc Fritchey TU meeting.

Chris (Bohlman)--Hate to contradict Greg (very dangerous), but you're right. I've caught nice pike & w'perch in mid-January on a 1/4-oz. Rapala X-Rap by cranking it for a couple of cuts and then letting it just sit there in their faces. Yes, the fish hit on the pause or just as I started it again.

Hope to get out wading tomorrow at low water. Will post if I do.

Best, JPW

·
Registered
738 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Sorry to miss you & Jack out there. Hope you'll get another shot or two at them, and let me know if you're coming down. Wish you two could get to an SRRKC meeting, but I guess that's about as likely as me getting back to another Doc Fritchey TU meeting.
JPW,

Our trip was up in the air until the last minute. We'll be sure to give you a call next time we come down. We'd love to make it out for an SRRKC meeting some day. Maybe we'll get down next summer some evening and stay over to fish the next day...

Chris

1 - 20 of 22 Posts