Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I met Capt. Nick & fishingrod in my creek today. I was fishing on my pier and they were in boats. Things were a bit slow , but i did have some good conversation with 2 fellow pickerllers.Try again soon the fishing has been good.

·
Registered
999 Posts
jc, good meeting you today. You have a nice fishery in your backyard. Thanks for pointing me to some of the productive spots in the creek. I got a lot of hits in that spot, but did not land a lot of them. I think I could of landed a few more if I was using a larger hook and I had my net. Will have to return and give it another try.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Hi JC it really wasn't "That" slow I hooked a total of 29 Pickerel.I couldn't imagine what it'd be like if it were a great bite.I only landed about 12 of them.Not that I care,I didn't want them to swallow the lure any way.It was nice talking with you and maybe we'll see you again sometime.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
JC send me a b-mail & I'll let you in on a secret fish magnet you can use.You'll have great fishing all the time & won't need a boat.The fish will come to you.

·
Tidal Fish Super Subscriber - I Support TidalFish.
6,189 Posts
Try again soon the fishing has been good.
Guys, those are words ya can live by ;) . The bite isn't gonna be hot all the time, and EVERY angler arrives at the bottom of a steep hill somewhere along the way:) , but it sure sounds like that Capt Nick had em dialed in :)

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
Virgil you guys have the best pickerel fishing in your rivers that I've ever fished.That includes the Choptank,Nanticoke,Delaware & Md. Eastern Shore ponds.Some ponds have numerous small pickerel & some of those Rivers and a few ponds have some big pickerel.But for good,solid action on medium 20'' or so Pickerel with a few bonus big ones thrown in,you can't beat the Severn or Magothy.let's hope it stays that way.

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Nick, I think that's an interesting observation. D.A. and I were discussing that very thing as we tried futily to catch a Pickerel at some very fishy looking spots in Bodkin Creek, yesterday. We remarked that in the Severn, we'd have almost certainly hooked up at one of those spots. We also noted that we rarely hear Pickerel reports from TF'r's outside of the Magothy/Severn.

The Severn is almost ridiculous right now. I know that Virgil's teachings have improved my ability to catch 'em, but I also think that we're seeing a cyclical peak, where almost any shoreline structue holds Pickerel. I suppose we just ride the wave and enjoy the peak while it lasts.

P.S. - This sort of remins of the the great fishing all the way up the Severn for 18"-22" Weakfish in '02. We knew that catching nice Weakies while casting plugs from the shore might end-up being a once-in-a-lifetime expereince, so we just enjoyed it while it lasted.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
JC mentioned the Hot Trout action in the Severn that occured a few years ago.Man...Would I have loved to have gotten in on that action.My hay day Trout fishing started in the early 70s in Delaware Bay, 3-6 lb.average with 9-11 lbrs.thrown in..Then,The Honga River til the late 80s. 2 lbrs.were common,but you could catch 70 a day.I learned a few tricks from the Charter Boat Captain of the "Francee" at that time,I don't recall that Captains name of that vessel in the late 80s.The Francee now departs from the South River and I believe it's Captained by a new owner?(Another old time Pickerel haunt ).Those Trout are a blast...my favorite.I'd love to see it happen again.I haven't hear of anyone fishing for Pickerel in the South in years.That's OK I love to explore new areas,I've never fished there.I'll be there .."reel" soon.There's nothing like going to a place you've never fished before and catching a few..then off to the next new spot.That's what makes it exciting to me.I like to fish as many new areas as I can every year.It keeps thing interesting.

·
Registered
63 Posts
That's funny!
Just the other day I was telling someone what Delaware Bay USED to be like,as far as trout.
I started fishing there with my Dad and my Uncle in 1972.
UNBELIEVABLE!

It was a HUGE adventure to a kid.
Me and my brother/cousins would all get in the truck bed (under a sheet of plywood for a top) with a AM radio and head out at 0300,eating Oreos and swilling Shasta!

We'd fish all day,come back sunburnt,reeking of fish,and bone tired,then feed half the folks in town!

A couple years later,we discovered night fishing!
And that we REALLY needed a working compass!
(And more fuel)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
After reading the reports from yesterday, I did a spur of the moment trip to the Severn today. It was too nice a day to pass up.

I start fishing at 1pm, about a half hour before high tide. I would've been on the water a lot sooner, but Jonas Greene Park was closed and gated, so I had to go to plan B. Why's the park closed, anyway? When I got to my spot, the water temp was 49 degrees when I started and 50 when I quit at 3:30. Surface salinity was 6ppt, which was higher than I thought it would be. The water was a brownish stain, and I could see my jig for about 18-20" down or so at first and a little deeper by the end of the day.

I christened the new rod I got for Christmas with 3 pickerel in the 17-18" range that I actually landed, several more smaller ones, and 3 break offs, which kills me. I didn't think I needed a leader because I got many more and several larger fish with no problems last time. At least the hooks were small and de-barbed, but it still bugs me. I don't recommend Silver Thread 6lb test for pickerel fishing. The stuff I had on my other rod was Sufix 6lb, I believe, which held up much better.

Most of the ones I landed were pretty fat, even the little fellers. Here's a pic of my third biggest one, I think:

What was interesting about this one was that he had white abrasions just forward of his caudal peduncle that looked like they might have come from another pickerel.

All the fish were caught on a 3" chartreuse w/metal flake curly tail grub. I caught some fish with the grub rigged on an 1/8th ounce head, which kept getting covered in snot from the bottom with medium speed retrieve. The coolest part of the day was when I caught one while jigging trying shake off the snot. The pickerel came hauling butt from just in front of my boat and slammed it. I switched to a 1/16th ounce head, avoided the snot, and still caught fish. I also tried an 4" electric chicken paddle-tail BA on an 1/8th ounce head, but didn't even get any nibbles. In fact, I must be the only guy on this board who has never caught anything (not even those pesky 13" stripers) on a BA (Bass Absent for me) or a BKD (Bill Kan't Deliver). Just need more practice, I guess.

All the fish were caught in sunny spots and mostly only when the sun came out. Around 3pm, the sun was behind clouds more often than not, the wind picked up a little, and the action subsided. Most of the fish were out a good bit from shore. Maybe 15-20ft away and in about 5ft of water, give or take.

Eight landed fish in about 2.5hrs without a lot of work--not too bad for a short, spur of the moment trip. :D

·
6,189 Posts
Dave7, I can relate to seatrout fishing Delaware Bay in early seventies. Used to fill up everything that would hold a fish including a duffle bag to get em home after a trip over there. Made many a run over there fishing out of Mispillion River. I think someone came along many years later calling what we were doing back then "force fishing", or some silly a$$ed name. We didn't have Bass Assassins back then but did pretty good on homemade jig heads and homemade twistytails ;) . I still have some of the originial rubber I poured back then and it'll still catch fish ;) .

·
Registered
999 Posts
Eight landed fish in about 2.5hrs without a lot of work--not too bad for a short, spur of the moment trip. :D
Nice job Bill! Yeah, I never have any luck with the 4" BAs either. I can catch Stripers with them but i've never had any luck catching Pickerel with them.

·
6,189 Posts
Virgil you guys have the best pickerel fishing in your rivers that I've ever fished.
Capt Nick, that doesn't surprise me :) I'm catching 23's on a routine bassis and have had at least 1 24+" fish on the last several trips I've been on. I believe the Severn may be a year behind the Mag but not positive. Will just have to see where it all goes from here. I do believe that I may have cought one of the largest fish I can honestly remember ever seeing several weeks ago. Sort of looked something like a mini bus with teeth. :D No bragging rights for me though. I failed to hit the record button on the camera. What I enjoy the most about this fishery is that I've watched these 24s grow through their entire life cycle. I can remember the first season they arrived with the constant pecking at my minnow and thinking small perch "NOT"!!!. Didn't put the puzzle together until later on when I started catching gazillions of small pickerels. One thing's for sure. There's a generation or two of pickerels that went un checked as far as being pickerel fodder for the older generations ahead of em because they were pretty much wiped out in a fish kill. As always, a few survived and they spawned. The results of that spawn is the crest we are riding today,,,,and it could all end this summer with another fish kill, and the cycle will start all over again. :(

·
6,189 Posts
Guys, throw em (4" paddle tail BA's") Sept, Oct time frame. You'll get a lot more results with em then. March/April would be a good bet too but most fishermen are doing other things then. :)

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Guys, throw em (4" paddle tail BA's") Sept, Oct time frame. You'll get a lot more results with em then. March/April would be a good bet too but most fishermen are doing other things then. :)
Thanks for the info, Virgil. Now if I could only fool some nice, big stripers into taking the 5" and 7" BAs and BKDs...:rolleyes: Maybe I'll be plying the waters of the Severn and Magothy in March/April since I've almost caught more 18"+ pickerels than stripers now. :p

·
Registered
7,548 Posts
Ict, those BAs worked better than anything for me through November (since the water was warmer than normal), but really dropped off after that. What has since worked for me are Mummichogs, of course, but also any 3"-4" twisty-tail-type lure with a small spinner blade. As the water cools rapidly after today, I'm guessing that the Pickerel fishing will be slow for a while while they adjust, and then after that a Mummi-tipped dart, worked slow, will be best. But I've never fished this time of year...I'm just going off of what some guy named Virgil told me:D

Seriously, I think it's also just a matter of what those fish want to hit on a particular day at a particular location. Just like any other fish, there's probably no better way to improve at it than to keep notes of what works for you (and what doesn't) under certain conditions. And also talk to veterans. That formula has worked well for me during my first season of serious Pickerel fishing, although fishing for these "Pike" has also raised more questions than answers. I'll bet that these fish even toss Virgil a curve ball once in a while.;) It sounds like you've figued out at least one thing that works, and trying to figure out the rest will be a lot of fun.

·
Registered
225 Posts
My experience matches what Virgil and Goose are saying. In Oct and Nov I was slaying em with paddle tails and larger plastics, but lately it has slowed. I have 4 go to lures that I switch between and 1 will usually do better than the others on any particular day. They are small casting spoons, 3" paddle tails, 3" twisty tails on 1/4 oz jighead, and 3" jigging minnows I think 1/4 oz also. Of course a minnow under a bobber always works, but I tend to get mostly smaller fish on that, but I like to use it as a way to scout what depth the fish are holding at. Yesterday they were very shallow, 1' or less and the only lure they would hit was the jigging minnow on a fast retrieve. Before I pulled my boat, wish I hadn't, I went on a scouting mission around the other docks nearby. Most fish were caught in shallow water <2'.

Just saw Fishams 23+, thats a nice fish. My guess is that there's a 24-25' fish out there and whoever finds it will win this thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts