Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that a few keeper Rock are probably in the Severn at any given time, but I suspect that the fat lady is about to sing on what most of us would consider the fall Rockfish run. The DF screen, again, was mostly empty up and down the River. Alarmingly, someone who I consider one of the best upper-Severn anglers alive told me that he has caught zero Rock this year in the far upper-Severn and was surprised that I had caught some one night in October (I guess that makes me the best upper-Severn angler alive....or maybe just the proverbial blind squirrel:pp).

We did see a few scattered but decent marks around David Taylor. I used a Crippled Herring with a dropper fly and tied a chart BKD to my friend's line. Jigging just off the bottom in 23-feet, I got a nice strike but missed, but he managed to hook-up with a very fat 19-incher (went back....looked to be healing from a lot of sores).

We then went back to the Rt. 50 bridge where I missed another, then had a solid hook-up with a nice fish. Larry was flying by at the time so I waived him over to show off my trophy.....Toadfish.:helpsmilie: I figured I better post that embarrassing episode here before he does.

Back at the dock, fat Perch were aplenty under the lights, so after a few in the bag for dinner, we called it a day.

I spoke on the radio with a TF'r who had landed a 36-incher near TPL. I think from now on, it's the Bay for me.

P.S.: The legendary angler who I mentioned above (not me...the other legend) told me that the Pickerel have finally started to turn on.:thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
Nice report, Goose... and, yes, it's always better to 'fes up first as it definitely steals the thunder from those who'd like to tell the story their way...

...So me and a couple buddies are heading up river under the Naval Academy bridge when I see Jeff waving and jumping up and down with excitement about this fish he caught... :pp

·
Registered
2,522 Posts
Well at least you got some pullage. I was up off of Rock Hall friday afternoon and it was probably the best day of fishing I've had all year. We caught roughly 50 fish with almost all but 10 being between 20 and 28 inches. It was just one of those days I dream about all year long. So I would say yeah the river's fat lady is warming up but the bay is still on fire.

-Evs

1 - 3 of 3 Posts