Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I managed to go out a little yesterday evening (Sunday, Nov. 2). Even at the head of the River, the water had taken on a "weak green tea" color instead of the usual opaque rust. Vis (using a chart BKD) was 2.5 feet by Indian Landing, 5.5 in the middle of Round Bay and a whopping 6.25 at the mouth of the narrows. That's the best vis I've seen in a few years. Interestingly, by David Taylor and the first Greenberry daymark, the vis was only 3.5 and 2.5, respectively, yet just upriver by the Rt. 50 Severn bridge, it was back to 5.

As for the greatly improved vis farther up the river, my theory is that the steady, significant (but never extremely heavy) rain last week flushed out that portion of the River without adding too much mud. Keep in mind that septic drainage is a larger problem in the upper-Severn than just about anywhere else, and tides do little to flush it out (pun intended).

OK....that's the interesting part of my report, because I caught zero Rock. I saw almost nothing on the DF. Water temp was a consistent 53, but I saw almost no bunker on the DF or surface. I tried the bar at the mouth of the narrows, the new reef, Capt. Pike's lump, both bridges, Carr's Creek and the spider.

Finally, after buttoning up the boat for the night, I did find a mess of several hundred W. Perch of various sizes clearly visible under the dock lights. I had no Perch lures, but managed a 10.25" and 11.5" using a Crystal Minnow plug.:)

P.S.: The River has definitely taken on a "Pickerel feel" to it with this latest chill and clear water. And right on prompt, a Pickerel in the 17"-18" range made a swipe at and missed my BKD under the dock lights...I almost never see them under the lights, so maybe that's a good omen for the upcoming season!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Water looks very pickerel-like. Last year it was also very clear with some spots I fished near 8 foot visibility.

Goose, my theory is strong and consistent winds of a northerly or westerly or northwesterly direction provide the cleansing. I also believe that the southerly winds tend to make the river more murky.

Even a fair amount of rain introduces particulates that suspend themselves and reduce visibility to some degree. I think we see it on a consistent basis up our way. Water usually looks like **** down to Cedar Point where it disperses or fans out. Let's take a look and reevaluate if the forecasted coastal low introduces some moisture our way over the next couple of days.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
Wow, that must be cool to see that many perch...are you in the upper part of the river? I'm wondering how long they will stay in shallow water like that..?

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water looks very pickerel-like. Last year it was also very clear with some spots I fished near 8 foot visibility.

Goose, my theory is strong and consistent winds of a northerly or westerly or northwesterly direction provide the cleansing. I also believe that the southerly winds tend to make the river more murky.

Even a fair amount of rain introduces particulates that suspend themselves and reduce visibility to some degree. I think we see it on a consistent basis up our way. Water usually looks like **** down to Cedar Point where it disperses or fans out. Let's take a look and reevaluate if the forecasted coastal low introduces some moisture our way over the next couple of days.
I started to think of a counter-argument but my brain started to smoke. In short, I think that you have a good point. The water certainly looks like cream coffee after a heavy rain, but I figured that it also flushed out the upper-River a bit. But maybe the new soil/**** offsets that. The wind theory is very interesting.

·
Registered
7,541 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wow, that must be cool to see that many perch...are you in the upper part of the river? I'm wondering how long they will stay in shallow water like that..?
Upper-river. 2-5 feet of juice. It's very cool....like a giant fish aquarium.

The W. Perch seem to school up in the deeper holes around mid-November, and some may start earlier than that. However, some stick to the shallow water for a while.....maybe they move between deep and shallow. :confused: Last year I caught a few Whites from shore well into the winter.

However, most Whites seem to move deep with the fall turnover of the water column. I'm not sure whether we've had the official "fall tunrover" yet....I think probably not. It's a bit early for that and usually, for a few days after, the water looks horrible as all of the leaves/silt/debris from the bottom get churned to the surface.

I'm a little worried about the lack of Yellows so far. Usually, by late October I start seeing decent numbers of them under the lights. Hopefully they'll show up soon.

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
Jeff... I was on the river earlier that same day scouting from the headwaters on down. Stopped to throw a Lonely Angler plug at Asquith and while I was drifting, something caught my eye... There in the water turning oh so slowly as I drifted was my prop and lower unit clearly visible. That is not a sight I'm used to seeing. :eek2:

The river was indeed clearer than I have seen it in a long time. Whitehall Creek was the same. :thumbup:

·
Registered
100 Posts
Good Visibility

Goose,
I am in agreement with Greg M. that the consistent NW winds are one of the reasons that the water is so clear. I also believe that because there is still grass around this helps with water quality as well. This has been the worst fall in years for big fish in the Round Bay area. I have only caught three keepers to 22", and the last one was 10 days ago. Hard to figure out. I am glad to hear that you have at least seen pickeral. We have not caught one yet this year. A friend of mine that fly fishes alot has caught a few yellow perch and I have seen a few around the dock last weekend. I am keeping my fingers crossed that there still might be a few rock around and that the pickeral will turn on soon......Happy fishing to all;-)

SONeill
Severn river

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Steve. Tried to call and left a message.

That report, or rumor, you called me about regarding the "breaking rock with tails thrashing the surface" at said location...yeah, it was just that...a rumor. Should have stayed where I was and worked it a little more.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
One more thing Steve. I have only noticed the water clarity wind relationship because you have brought it to my attention in the past, and so far, it has been pretty consistent.

·
Premium Member
26,107 Posts
The lack of boat traffic also helps with the water clarity :thumbup:.Boat wakes can really tear up the shorelines that do not have rip rap or grass.Since the home owner of the house on the north east side of Rt. 50 put in rip rap , the mud line that was visible from the bridge out 20 feet has disappeared :yes:. This cliff got pounded all summer by wakes and put ALOT of fine silt into the river.

It would be great if the river could stay "clear" all year :clapping2:.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts