Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw between 6 and 8 oyster boats working a spot just up river of the Rt. 50 bridge on the Annapolis side. Any idea what they were doing? I have never seen oyster boats in the area. Did not think there were any oysters left with the exception of a couple bars in the bay.

Just curious.

·
Registered
165 Posts
The entire Severn River is closed to shellfish harvest. CBF has been building a new oyster reef in the vicinity you describe, and MD has been talking about employing watermen to work on restoration projects, so maybe the boats you saw were helping to prepare/groom the reef... Just my guess.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
I do not know anything about this, but I saw them, too. I can tell you that folks at CBF, DNR (including the DNR police), Severn River Keeper, Severn River Commission and Severn River Association were all alerted to this and are scrambling to find out ASAP.

I am willing to bet that someone from at least one of these organizations is involved, that it's all perfectly legit and related to either a restoration project, a study or perhaps not even oystering.

I'll let you know as soon as I know.

·
Registered
7,563 Posts
That's one heck of a waterfall that has formed in the River!:D

·
Registered
384 Posts
I came over the bridge around 1130-noon today and i saw 8-10 of these boats working a tight circle. I did notice they were pulling some type of line in the water off the mast of their boats. Not sure what was going on.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts