Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I was asked by two kayak anglers if I could give them some tips on catching fish from a kayak. I fished with one of the guys in the Severn on Friday and in Eastern Bay on Sat with the other guy. We caught fish both days, but when I have responsibility of working with other anglers to find fish and coordinating logistics with multiple anglers, I don't get to fish as much as I normally would. I could never work as a paid fishing guide -- it would be too stressful for me.

This morning I set out on my own for a relaxing trip in two Severn tributaries. I slept in, ate breakfast, and launched at 8:00 am. I paddled for half an hour to the first location. I trolled paddletails on two rods, and in one short stretch of water, I caught five stripers. I continued on to a shaded, wooded shoreline and found perch biting. I soon had caught 24 of them in that spot.

I paddled back to near where I launched and fished in a second tributary. On my first cast of the day, I threw a small spinner to the shoreline. The line draped over a branch. I gave it a twitch, and the lure flipped back over the branch and fell in the water. It was almost immediately grabbed by a colorful pumpkinseed. The photo does not show the bright yellow belly on this pretty fish. I had never caught a pumpkinseed in that location before.

Fish Ray-finned fish Fin Tail Fisherman

A few casts later, the spinner was smashed by a 22" pickerel that pulled hard. When I landed it, I noticed that one of the lobes on its tail was missing and it had a gash on its side. I took two photos of the business end of the fish and released it. A few minutes later, pickerel number two hit and went airborne for two leaps.

Jaw Fish Smile Fin Seafood

Water Jaw Fish Fin Close-up

That was it for the day, but to get two dozen perch, two pickerel, five stripers and a pumpkinseed in 3 hours of fishing was a treat. And I was able to catch my fourth Severn Slam (striper, perch, pickerel) of the summer. I was home and cleaned up in time for lunch.

As a retired guy, I usually fish on weekdays and enjoy the lower traffic on the water. But fishing Fri, Sat, and Mon of a holiday weekend put me out there with lots of other boaters. In particular, I encountered an abundance of recreational crabbers everywhere I went. I am amazed that any crabs are left with the number of crabbers working pots, trotlines, and hand lines from the shore.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice work, John! It's great to hear about so many Pickerel being caught over the summer. Looking forward to fall.
I caught a total of 25 pickerel on 13 of 35 trips in the Severn since June 7. That is more than I usually catch during the summer in those waters. I caught more than two in a trip only once (7 pickerel that day).

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks, I was thinking of trolling the Severn when it’s real windy out of the southern directions. Looking for some keepers, nothing huge.
I have trolled paddletails often this summer in the Severn as I move from one creek to another for my perch fishing. It has not been productive this year. As fall progresses, bait typically moves out of the creeks, into the main stem of the river, and eventually to the bay (I don't think that movement has started yet). If you are able to find a good accumulation of bait, you may have a shot at some stripers.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts