Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Am I the only person wondering what the SFAC knew about the illegal gill netting last year, and if it was ever discussed? I am curious to get Brandon's input since it may have been discussed offline.

The SFAC agendas are available online, and below is the link. According to the published agendas, illegal gill nets were never a topic going back to September 2009 which is where I stopped looking. I did see where the SFAC discussed and voted on the trolling restrictions. There was also a discussion on October 20, 2009 for more gill nets (see 6:15-6:30 on link directly below).

http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/tidalfish/102009/TFACAgenda102009.pdf

Following the media publicity of this year, there was a vote whether to reopen or not. We know the answer to that question. So my question is still open, why did the SFAC never bring the poaching issue to an agenda item? Is the SFAC so stacked it does not matter? Did the Director never refer the item to them? Based on the what is published on the DNR site, this should have been discussed. This is straight from the site:

"the Sport Fish Advisory Commission has the duty of advising the Director of Fisheries Service on all matters referred to the commission by the Director. SFAC is comprised of individuals from across the State whom represent the interests of various constituencies in recreational fisheries".

Home page and law referred to above: http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/management/?com=sfac

Agendas: http://dnr.maryland.gov/fisheries/management/?com=sfac&page=meetings

Hope this does not go to never never land on the Conservation Board.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
Why didn't the DNR make provisions to change the rules on gill nets when poachers nets were found last year. Why didn't they adjust the poundage allowed for the last year the way they did for this year. They found nets last year with no fish in them? Something stinks about the whole poaching with gill nets story. Its time for the DNR to come clean and tell the truth about whats been going on for years. Has the DNR committed any type of crime by not disclosing information that was withheld from us. Seems to me someone or somebodies have not been fortcoming on the subject of saving the rockfish. The DNR supposedly used info from TF posts to change the PSCR season. Now it is our turn to know the truth and all that is involved with not telling the truth.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Why didn't the DNR make provisions to change the rules on gill nets when poachers nets were found last year. Why didn't they adjust the poundage allowed for the last year the way they did for this year. They found nets last year with no fish in them? Something stinks about the whole poaching with gill nets story. Its time for the DNR to come clean and tell the truth about whats been going on for years. Has the DNR committed any type of crime by not disclosing information that was withheld from us. Seems to me someone or somebodies have not been fortcoming on the subject of saving the rockfish. The DNR supposedly used info from TF posts to change the PSCR season. Now it is our turn to know the truth and all that is involved with not telling the truth.
got me thinking too maybe that is what led to the tracking devices on the boats.........

·
Premium Member
18,673 Posts
It's a great question I do not have an answer other then to say it was never brought to our attention what a big issue this was. It's been going on for years from what I understand.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's a great question I do not have an answer other then to say it was never brought to our attention what a big issue this was. It's been going on for years from what I understand.
This was my suspicion after reading the agendas. Thank you for being the recs advocate, I know how much time and energy can be spent serving on these types of committees. How could I get on the record and ask the Director why the poaching issue was never brought forward to the Commission for discussion?
Thanks

1 - 5 of 5 Posts