Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Havnt been able to find much info on shad battery shoal. Any have any info/experiences..Good ..bad .. Whatever? A lot closer to home for me and was think about giving it a try in the near future.. Thanks!

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have never done good there except for dinks. It does have an interesting history.
Would like to hear the story.

I've fished there at least 1/2 dozen times over the past few years, never caught a single striper. On paper, there is plenty of classical looking haunts all around that general area that you would think should make for good fishing. A few times I even marked tons of fish, but threw everything including the kitchen sink at them and nary a bite. Caught some perch, even a lost croaker, and some catfish. For some reason I've been adamant that I WILL catch stripers there, so I'm sure I'll be back to try again. Was even also considering that for this Sat.

Good luck if you go, would love to hear how you do. Just be prepared to be a target for every Sea Ray that passes thru. Damnedest spot I've ever fished in that every 30'+ cuddy cabin, trawler, or go-fast boat that comes within a 1/2 mi of you seems to feel the need to buzz right by at about 30 yds and see what you're up to. Doesn't matter how far off the channel or even how close to shore you are, they feel the need to buzz you, uncomfortably close.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Havnt been able to find much info on shad battery shoal. Any have any info/experiences..Good ..bad .. Whatever? A lot closer to home for me and was think about giving it a try in the near future.. Thanks!
I didn't have any luck there last year but a buddy of mine had good success up there many years ago but he says it's just not the same

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I have never done good there except for dinks. It does have an interesting history.
From Wikipedia-

"Fishing Battery (also known as Donahoo Battery and Shad Battery at times) is an artificially constructed island, created to allow fishermen to transfer their catches to paddleboats whose draft barred them from entry to Havre de Grace. In 1851 Congress appropriated $5000 to erect a light on the island; this light was constructed in 1853 by John Donahoo, the last light he built on the Chesapeake Bay. His role in the purchase of the land for the light is a bit obscure, because although the main payment went to one Otho Scott, Donahoo was later paid $10 for the same plot. Donahoo had owned the island some ten years prior, and it is unclear whether he was paid for brokering the sale or to quit title claims.

The original structure was a brick one and half story house with the lantern in the center of the roof ridge, similar in form to those built at Point Lookout and Blakistone Island. Originally equipped with an all-but-obsolete wick and reflector, it gained a sixth order Fresnel lens within a few years, to be followed by a fifth order lens in 1899. The character of lantern was much criticized in official reports, and it was replaced in 1864 and again in 1867.

From 1880 to 1891 the United States Bureau of Fisheries leased the island, employing it as a fish hatchery, and eventually purchased it outright. Among a series of other improvements, the grade of the island was raised; when the floor of the light was raised to match the new grade, the walls were extended upwards and in essence the operation, including all of the keepers' habitation, was moved to the new second floor.

In 1928 the light was moved from the lantern to a skeleton tower which had been erected directly behind the house. The keepers continued to reside in the house until 1939, when the operation was automated. In 1942 the island was transferred to the Department of the Interior and was made part of the Blackwater National Wildlife Refuge. Though the tower continues in use, the old lighthouse was abandoned and has been heavily vandalized over the years. Local conservation and museum groups have been working to put together an effort to restore and conserve the light."

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I will be fishing for anything that bites! i will have the whole kitchen with me to throw out there. Most likely will be by myself in the boat. 18th C hawk side console with a 90hp honda. seems like the type of area where you would do a little rocking back n forth.. Wortons has been pretty good to me so that might be a back up plan. From what ive found Shad battery shoal used to be productive.. but im sure its like any place else, depends on all factors. Hoping to get out early enough to maybe get a little quite time before all the traffic..

·
Registered
561 Posts
I think its been about 10 years since I caught much but an occasional bass around it. The early spring run, march mostly used to be good for the striped ones. It is mostly known as the Battery around here. Boat traffic does suck around there.

·
Premium Member
2,411 Posts
The area around it has been filled in with sand, it's a popular upper bay raft up spot now, very popular.

Head over to the elk area and get some perch/cats/Rock

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Shad Battery Shoal lies roughly between Abbey Point and Howell Point and almost due east of the mouth of Romney Creek. The Fishing Battery, which is the Wikipedia quote above, is off the North end of Spesutie Island. They are two entirely different places. If you are truly fishing Shad Battery Shoal, you would do well to heed Gerald's advice and hit Warton's Point. Warton's has lots of good structure and good tide flow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts