Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tomorrow I was hoping to do some fishing for stripers, puppy drum, and specks in Norfolk but because of the weather forecast I may end up going shad fishing in Richmond. I've never been shad fishing before. Any advice for catching shad would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
its easy, a sabiki or shad dart will work just fine. Just fish towards downtown richmond and all the boats will point you to the right area.

Rudy

·
Registered
56 Posts
Saw about a dozen boats lined up in front of Rockett's Landing when having dinner at the Boathouse on Wednesday. Couldn't watch long enough to see if they were catching.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Went yesterday and today (Downtown Richmond) for a bit this morning. (Called in well)

They are there. Use Shad darts or the bigger sabiki but be ready to loose sabiki rigs and those hooks are EVIL with a flailing fish on one. The most are near the big dock at Dock street but you have to be in the middle of the river to not get hit with sinkers from the dock/bank fishing bunch.

They are moving up. Take lots of darts different colors and use a twitch-twitch reel, twitch-twich reel retrieve.

Use a split shot up about 18"-24" from the dart to get it down a bit and make casting easier and ultralight gear if you have it or a fly rod. A big 3 pounder is a HOOT! you'll need your drag on an ultralight for sure!

Go during the week or be ready for a CROWD! They WILL run over your lines and the bank bunch WILL toss sinkers at you if you are in range. There is some courtesy but not much. Kind of like the lower Rap.

·
Registered
113 Posts
We are getting ready to head out right now for a little evening fish. I also need to give the boat a good run with some new gas. I'll post later with our results.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
I have always had better luck with really small silver or gold spoons like Nungessers(sp?) than darts. Few years back a buddy outfished me with what turned out to be gold hooks soldered to brass willowleaf spinnerblades. Haven't bought another spoon since. Deadly on a fly rod with a sinking line. Wish I could get the solder to stick to the nickel plated ones!

·
Registered
113 Posts
We had alot of fun yesterday. This was my first time shad fishing. We used darts and sabiki rigs. My son had many multiple hook ups on the sabiki. I would say it outfished the darts 5:1. We ended up with about 20 in a two hours. It was fun watching them rip drag on ultralight tackle with 4 lbs. test. How long does the run typically last?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Get off Maury Street exit from I-95. Go to light, turn right and go to end of the road. If you want to launch a boat there is a public ramp ther. If you want to fish from shore, go through the parking lot and down a short path. you will see a wall. Good fishing all along the wall.
Shad fishing is HOT right now. There are also good numbers of herring being caught and some huge flathead catfish.For shad, I use a silver or a gold Nungesser shad spoon tied on a 24" leader of 12 to 15 pound test. i usde a light action rod with 10lb test line and a varying retrieve depending on tide and mood of the fish. Today, I caught and gave away a whole 5 gallon bucket of hickory shads. Oh, yeah.
be prepared to have your license checked and do not keep any American (White ) shad. They are illegal and will cost you $500. if you don't know the difference ,there's always a bunch of people who can advise you. no lmit on hickory shad or herring.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Oh yeah, If you take your boat, there is always a lot of debris, logs annd rocks in this area of the river. Be careful and respect the people fishing on the shore and please don't anchor too close to the shore where their cast might accidentally hit your boat. Weekends tend to become a zoo, so please be courteous to other boaters and other fishermen. Enjoy yourself.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Went Sunday, after church and dinner, c&r 56 shad, 55 hickory and I american from 3pm to 6pm. Went Monday, caught another 40 or so all hickory from 12pm to 4:30. Fun on light tackle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts