Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that shad come up the james around april, but I have never tried fishing for them. Does anyone have anything that they could tell on how to catch them or any good baits.

P.S. anything would be appreciated.

·
Registered
2,878 Posts
What a blast it will be. Can't wait to take the kids up there. Depending on the weather/water temps they could start showing up in late March. Hickory shad, American Shad, Herring, white perch and stripers.

For shad, the fly guys out catch everyone. I don't fly fish, but need to learn. I watch every year as the fly guys out catch us spinning guys by 5 or 10 to 1. I don't know much about what flies they use. But a search of some of the boards here will tell ya.

Second place, is a small silver or gold spoons. Nangusser (sp) rigged with a splitshot up the line or rigged carolina style. Cast, count down and retrieve. Change count until you get bit, then repeat.

Third, sabiki rigs. Shad, herring and perch. If you bring some kids and want to keep them busy, tie on a sabiki, let them drop it over the side and BAM. You can't fish, cause you are too busy taking their fish off.

If the shad and herring are not around or biting, take the sabiki and put a tiny piece of red wiggler on each hook. Again, all the white perch you can stand.

While anchored, and catching these critters, use them for catfish bait for even more non-stop action.

Just remember, you can't keep or use American shad. They must go back.

Watch the board, and get ready.

Good luck. Be prepared for lots of boats up there.

Dayton

1 - 4 of 4 Posts