Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any shad reports from the James River in Richmond? My dogwood trees aren't blooming yet, so according to tradition, they aren't here yet, but I figured I'd ask for some reports.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Don't know about the James but they have been in the Nottoway in Va. and other North Carolina rivers for awhile now. Already showing some signs of spawning out in places...

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
Good morning. I have not read any reports and I have been observing the Shad cam occasionally; nothing seen yet. I did hear 1st hand that there are fish being caught on the Pamunkey and Mattaponi Rivers. I will be trying tomorrow; hopefully it'll be a Good Friday:yes:

·
Registered
838 Posts
Friend of mine caught 12 Hickories up at Rocketts Landing yesterday.

- - - Updated - - -

They're also catching them at Aylette on the Mattaponi.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds good. I have cleaned all the rusty shotgun hulls out of the bottom of the skiff and put the trolling motor back on for the summer. Headed to Richmond to fish either Saturday or Sunday. So glad to be fishing after this miserable winter.

·
Registered
409 Posts
There wasn't a whole lot this afternoon. My wife and I pulled the little boat up and caught a few in a few hours. There were literally thousands of people fishing and we hardly saw any catching.

·
Registered
64 Posts
There wasn't a whole lot this afternoon. My wife and I pulled the little boat up and caught a few in a few hours. There were literally thousands of people fishing and we hardly saw any catching.
what do you use for bait to catch a shad?

Thanks
Danny

·
Registered
409 Posts
We started with small gold and silver spoons, and tried Shad darts. My wife caught one after switching to a tiny Mepps red and white spinner. And I caught all of my fish after switching to a tiny 2" shiny crankbait.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I landed 6 in Fredericksburg Tuesday after fishing for about 3 hours. All caught on silver spoons. I'm sure the fishing is only getting better each day.

·
Registered
556 Posts
They can be very tide sensitive sometimes.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Regarding what "bait" to use.... After years of fishing for shad the absolute "best" thing I have found are sabiki rigs. Personally I half an eight fly into two rigs, use split shot for weight and no longer fish for them, we catch them.......

·
Registered
12 Posts
Regarding what "bait" to use.... After years of fishing for shad the absolute "best" thing I have found are sabiki rigs. Personally I half an eight fly into two rigs, use split shot for weight and no longer fish for them, we catch them.......
These guys are spot on.....sure, it's more fun to throw a lure or shad dart, but you cannot beat the sabiki. I usually have the best luck with the small white/clear/green ones. Sometimes i'll cut them in half so each rig has 3 hooks. that make it easier to cast.

·
Registered
8,065 Posts
they are in real good numbers NOW ... if you launch at Anncarows Landing you will love the new parking lot ... 5x bigger than last year and the bumpy pot hole road coming in is GONE - smooth brand new black top just last week !

like ReX said for Nottaway - been there for 3 weeks ...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts