Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to my notes we are more than a full week early but I am getting the itch and since it has been a mild winter I was wondering...

Has anybody tried locally for American Shad yet?

I am referring to legal waters however I would accept reports on the Ches Bay run as well. I am off on Friday and was thinking about giving them a try. I probably have room for a partner if anyone wants to give them a try but without a report we will be shooting in the dark and playing a hunch.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have heard about some being caught in nets and unconfirmed of a few near Richmond. As my boat is being repaired I may try Ancarrows Friday myself if the weather is close to nice. I will post any results.

Best of luck

stringer Bait:fishing2:

·
Registered
563 Posts
I think there are some up in the Nansemond, but I can't be certain since I haven't seen them myself. I haven't headed up to the Nottoway yet either. I'm ready to get after them though. That's fun fishing. It will be nice since daylight savings time comes early now.

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
PLEASE,If ya need help catching a shad maybe you should wait another month and try the croaker if ya need to put a bend in your rod.:wacko:

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
I had a failry large american shad nearly dropped on my head last week by a bald eagle while I was out on the dock. Wind has been blowing too much since then for me to try though.

--John

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
I work out in Franklin and see the boat ramps for the Blackwater and Nottaway every day. There has not been any action out there yet. Wal-Mart even has pleny of the little silver spoons still. It should start to happen any day now though. I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Keep in touch

Jim-
I hope you can get on to them soon. I enjoy your shad reports.

There's an article on shad in today's Raleigh newspaper Thursday "Outdoors" section. You can probably find it online at www.newsobserver.com.

Go get em'

Foy

·
Registered
211 Posts
If you are still looking for a tag a long...

Jim,

If you want to go out tomorrow, I'm able and willing. I have to drop the kids off at school at 9am though. After that, I can have my light tackle ready to go anywhere you want to meet. Give me a call.

Jeff Caplan
757-593-3478

·
Tidal Fish SUPER Subscriber - I Support Tidal Fish
460 Posts
Sic em Jim, I have never fished for them but enjoy your reports. If I did not have a Dr's appointment tommorrow I would vie for a seat on your boat. I assume that a fresh water license is required.

BTW, I wonder how long it will be before someone jumps your case for catching illegal fish? I happens every year.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
PLEASE,If ya need help catching a shad maybe you should wait another month and try the croaker if ya need to put a bend in your rod.:wacko:
Since the drive from Poquoson to legal shad waters is over an hour, I like to find out if anything is starting before I go. These fish don't live there year round. There is really no trouble in catching them if they are present in the river but the best angler in the world can't catch them before they arrive. Also, if you do the simplest search back over reports you will discover that I usually catch about as many shad as anyone you know. Additionally, as Cory mentioned, eating shad roe is far better than anything about a croaker.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Sorry Big JIM, I dont know how to cut and paste. It was an attemp to mimick your responce to a thread from someone wanting to catch a bluefish.:rolleyes: The threads are alike.:yes:

·
Registered
575 Posts
Jim, you were the first one to get em last year, do it again! I've seen a couple dogwoods starting to bloom. Good luck.

·
Registered
16,826 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how do you catch shad. i always thought they were filter feeders?
Shad darts with little gold or silver spoons (tandem rigged). Cast them on light line (I like #6) and reel back. It really is that simple. Sometimes the fish will be near the surface. Sometimes they are deeper. But, if they are around they will hit it. American shad can weigh up to 10 pounds. They are not the same kind of feeders as, let's say, threadfin or gizzard shad. The tarpon is a shad.

·
Registered
165 Posts
fish hooktoo, where big jim is fishing it not an illegal fish. I believe that the tributaries of the bay are the illegal fish.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts