Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
says me you canadian!

i stopped by tunnel rock and walked over the little mill dam and saw two men catching doubles with every cast. they were so thick, you could see their backs rolling around everywhere.

i am home for lunch and have loaded me rods in the truck!

·
Registered
12 Posts
I know where they're at.

But ya can't keep the shad up there.

I'm gonna try below the bridge tommorrow I reckon

(took the rods outa the truck 2 floods ago)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yep their here. But not in those numbers yet...my bet is that they were mostly mud shad (gizzard shad). It's pretty hard to cast right now without snagging one. The Hickorys are here....but the water is a little muddy for them and the temp is still a bit low.

·
Registered
89 Posts
JLOWE -

lol - too funny ...

MUD SHAD = YUCK!!!

i guess because of all the high water, the hickorys are a little behind schedule this year ... either that or their swimming right on up past us ...

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i caught a couple hickory for every 10 mud. in fact, one of the hickory's was the only mouth caught fish.

tunnel rock is over on the fred side above rt 1 bridge. yes, it is only catch and release up there. i don't keep much anymore anyway. the mud shad were fun on the ultra light and the few hickory i caught, though smaller, fought even better.

more today, i have pics that i will share when i get a moment.

·
Registered
116 Posts
snagging gizzard shad = fun in the dark with a fat girl......
It can be fun but you don't want your friends to see you doing it.[excited]

·
Registered
116 Posts
Get to work Nirschman!...... don't you have some chemically imbalanced students to tend to?

If the rain holds off I'm once again sending out a shad probe @ lunchtime.

·
Registered
89 Posts
yeah, i think tidalfish.com is the worst thing i've ever discovered online ... could threaten to derail my teaching career!

must ... resist ... urge ... to ... check... fishing reports ...

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i grew up in and around the river there. tunnel rock has a tunnel under it. just slightly upriver from jumping rock. in high school we would drink too much and dive under it in the middle of the night.

mud:

hickory:

·
Registered
134 Posts
Today: about 20 mud shad (snagged) about 40 hickorys (10ish snagged, 30 with a sore jaw) (about 5 hours)

Hot colors were chartruese and white darts, red and white darts, hot pink and yellow darts, and gold spoons. In the early season like this changing colors often resulted in more hits, and today was no exception. All white darts and jiggs got completely ignored and silver spoons only got a couple of hits. All hickorys were caught in the current or current seam, once in the slow stuff it was mud shad city.

OF COURSE tomorrow everything could be different......especially if we get the rain that is called for.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Would Mud Shad be ok to freeze and use for Catfish bait later?
The Shad I got from Green Top last Jan. were frozen whole, uncleaned.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts