Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tough to believe but 120 days have passed since my last time out on my boat.

Decided to take the rig to Sandy Point and do a shakedown run - then troll for a few hours. Launched about 9:30 . Primed the motors and hardly turned the key - they were idling fine at 700 RPM :thumbup:. Checked the bilge / hoses / pumps - no leaks. Got a radio check , checked the lights , horn , etc - all working fine. After a ten minute warm up - headed out past the jetty - workers were busy placing stones.

Ran towards Mattapeake and saw the water was still stained so my dad and I continued south to #88. Slowed to 3 knots and put over the boards and six rod spread. Three singles - three tandems in various colors. Wind was touch more then the 5-10 predicted but only about a 1-2 foot chop.

We zig zagged along the edges - going east / west. There were crab pot floats on east edge in 45 feet - did not matter as most bait was on west edge. Did see some fish deep so reeled in a tandem and put it on a downrigger. We trolled around the anchored ships - there are eight or nine of them. Not much there so worked back to 65 feet. Heard a rod banging in the holder and soon dad was fighting a nice Rockfish.

It put up a nice fight on a 320 reel on a light 7 foot rod. Hit a 3 oz white sparkle parachute ( All Tackle ) with chartruese shad.

Worked as far south as #86 - then started trolling back to the ramp. Current was running fast and Gannets were dropping here / there. Checked the lures - all were clean. Saw a few nice fish on the meter and scattered bait. A few small blips almost on bottom in 75 feet - no idea ?????

We decided to pull lines at 3:00 and were just above #87. I reeled in the first rod and my dad pitched in to help by reeling in the second one. I did not see the fish hit it - but my dad sure did. He had his hands full with a feisty one that hit a tandem rig.

Leadered it in and let her go in the water. Looked about 34 inches. Hit a 6 oz chartruese parachute with pearl tail.

We pulled the other lines in and ran back over almost smooth seas.

Got interviewed back at the dock - guy said most boats had caught 1-2 fish.

Water temp was 47 to 48 * - might be better next week.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Good to hear you got out there again. First fish of the year to your dad was prefect. I am certain there will be more to come. What type of spread did you decide to pull?

Greg
'Compromise'

·
Registered
233 Posts
I'm pushing 123 day and probably will be at 140 by the time I get her back from the shop and into the slip. Good to hear that you made it out. Your dad looks great, never take the time with him for granted. Didn’t get a chance to fish with mine on my boat, envious for sure. Stop by the slip and say hello when you find yourself at Breezy.

George

1 - 13 of 13 Posts