Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a new SS Pinman Pete Saturday from Appomatox River Co. I visited their Farmville store, which is a 2 hour drive for me. Great place to spend several hours talking boats and drooling over the inventory.

Al, the plastic welding magician, was able to fix my Caper again, though it now belongs to UTurn - for his wife he said[tongue]. Hope you enjoy it. Let me know how it holds up.

Anyway, got a T120 for the river and bay; no rudder but considering it though I really don't see a need for most of my fishing. Driving over the James on Route 15 I had to do a U turn and hit the boat ramp to get er broken in. Paddled and fished for an hour or so, with only one bite, but spent most of the time playing in the chutes and small waves in the rapid below the bridge.

Finished and was loading the boat back up when I heard an all to familiar sloshing sound: 2 quarts of water in the hull. ARRGGG!!! Filled the boat up Sunday morning and found 4 pin hole pricks in the right scupper behind the seat. Not what I wanted. I have enough leaky boats.[grin]

Emailed ARC back even though they were closed, and said I was coming down this way. I planned to stop in their Kiln Creek store and swap the defective boat out. No problemo at all, though this time I checked the scuppers with a flashlight first. Good thing too, cause the first boat we pulled out to look at had the same problem in the same place.

But I got a whole boat, instead of a holey one. Gonna get it wet in NC probably on Thursday. Great service, and a great price significantly less than the competition. If you are thinking of buying a yak, you owe yourself at least a phone call to ARC.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Same thing happened to me with a T120 after one outing on glassy conditions. But, I brought it back to Wild River Outfitters here in Virginia Beach, and they told me to fill it up with water and see where it was leaking. Well, after about 45 gallons of my own water, I realized, if these sob's don't take it upon themselves to remedy the situation, I'm going to bring the boat back, and tell them to pi$$-off. Well spoke with a "Manager" the next time, and seemingly rather reluctant, he agreed to take the boat back. Needless to say, I don't frequent that store very often anymore.... only when I have to...

·
Registered
30 Posts
I purchased my Prowler from the Bobby at the Kiln Creek store. Let met tell you. They were busy as heck over there. Bobby and his worker provided the best service that my money could purhase. Thanks a bunch. I will definately be back.

·
Premium Member
773 Posts
I am sorry you had a bad experence with Wild River Outfitter, sounds like you spoke to someone who is not directly involved with the Kayak Area. I would have asked to speak to the owner. Two bad I was not there that day. They really do have good staff.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I bought my T160i from WILD RIVER OUTFITTERS. Anne was a great sales lady. She was patient, knowledgable, polite, and did not force anything on me. She spent 45 minutes with me and my son going over various aspects of the T160i. She never tried to steer me away from other boats that were a bit cheaper.... she just recommended the T160i because I told her I enjoyed paddling from place to place while fishing. She was right on the money. I have gone 7-8 miles at a time and still felt great afterwards.

I have been back twice for accessories and have found the other sale personel as knowledgable and polite as well. I might spend a tad more for items at WRO, but its more than worth it with the staff that they have.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I agree that both shops are excellent. I live in the middle and frequent both. However, I had a horrible experience at Blue Ridge Outfitters in VA Beach. I will NEVER go back. I had a salesman tell me that I was looking at the wrong kayak and that sit on top kayaks are okay, but a sit in tournig boat is much more effecient and suited for my needs. I explained to him at the beginning that I was looking to buy a new sit on top for fishing. After becoming thoroughly frustrated, I asked to speak to the manager and she promptly explained to me in a condescending manner that they were a "real" kayak store and served real "paddlers" so I should just take the advice of their expert staff or go somewhere else-I took that advice.
Chad

·
Registered
253 Posts
With really only two local stores selling what we need I think it is important to be careful of our negative post about one store or another. The more stores we have to choose from, the better it is for us all in that we will have more selection, better prices and stores all around so we don't have to travel so far. Anyway, it's just a thought...

·
Registered
30 Posts
[Q]Chad originally wrote:
I agree that both shops are excellent. I live in the middle and frequent both. However, I had a horrible experience at Blue Ridge Outfitters in VA Beach. I will NEVER go back. I had a salesman tell me that I was looking at the wrong kayak and that sit on top kayaks are okay, but a sit in tournig boat is much more effecient and suited for my needs. I explained to him at the beginning that I was looking to buy a new sit on top for fishing. After becoming thoroughly frustrated, I asked to speak to the manager and she promptly explained to me in a condescending manner that they were a "real" kayak store and served real "paddlers" so I should just take the advice of their expert staff or go somewhere else-I took that advice.
Chad
[/Q]

Man, that sucks.

I have been to both stores ARC and WRO, both have been great to me. ARC, however, seemed to have a more personal touch to me, it helped me let go of the dough a little easier. There is no doubt that WRO's staff is well knowledged in their respective sections. I am thoroughly impressed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts