Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crewed up for Saturday with plans to fish inshore structure for threshers, but talked myself out of it based on low water temperatures. Decided to push out to the canyons in hope of some warmer water and mako sharks, with deep dropping as plan B. Pointed towards the south Poormans, where the water had been, but didn't really have much of a satellite shot to go on given all the rain we've had recently. Got all the way to 500 fathoms, pushed farther down the line, but only found 55 degree water at best. Went back to the warmest stuff I could find and put out a slick without much hope of success. Almost as soon as we get lines a keeper mako skies 4-5 times a quarter or half a mile away, which got our hopes up. Saw 1-2 more jump in the cold water throughout the day, so they are there. Once the chum starting flowing well, the blue sharks showed up. We had a steady pick of those and ended up releasing 10 or so. Could have had many more since they only seemed to want the bait right next to the chum, but decided to keep the far out lines where they were in hopes of getting a warier mako. Wasn't meant to be. Pulled lines at 11 and headed to some tilefish spots I have and had a nice steady pick of goldens to 25-30 lbs and a handful of rosies to go along with them. The goldens really seemed to like bunker chunks, so I'll have to add that to the bait list for future deep drop trips. All in, good weather and great ride back in a 30+ kts the entire way with some meat for the box. Still, would much rather be tuna fishing.

tile.jpg

blue dog.jpg

Bird.jpg

·
Registered
610 Posts
Sounds like an action filled day with good fish for the box. I was inshore togging. Water and weather was beautiful. Summer can't get here soon enough.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts