Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any good places between the CBBT and NIT to get into some nice sharks? I have been wanting to get some on the boat for about a year, and have not had luck getting anything bigger than a 5 foot sandbar shark. With my POS I am not able to get out past the first island of the cbbt, but can fish just about anywhere else.

Thanks,
Cursed

·
Registered
322 Posts
There are several places that hold really big sharks. As already noted Smith Island and Fishermans Island by the shoals holds a lot of nice sharks. I've encountered them to 10' over there.

The cell has a lot of nice sharks too. Not as good as it used to be but in the early 90's I was catching sharks to 13' over there. At the cell you want to fish the edge of the channel in 70-90 feet of water. Down on the eastern shore the fish are in less than 15' of water.

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Please take good care of those sharks! [email protected] as they are'nt good for eating anyway and they are vital to the bays health.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Russ D,
What are you talking about, "they are'nt good for eating anyway"? I have kept and eat'n plenty, when doing off shore drops.

Just trying to figure out which species you are talking about.

·
Registered
187 Posts
The only shark I won't eat is a blue shark and dogfish, I'm rather picky on what fish I eat too. I figure the guys who can eat bluefish and bonita can put a hurting on a blue shark also.

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
What kind of bait do you use for the big ones??? Tuna head / carcass ??? Whats the bait of choice???

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
We use a couple of buckets of "tournament chum" to get the slick going, Bluefish filets and oily Mullets in the slick on double-hooked wire rigs, and carcasses off the stern. Freelining with balloons, a 4-6 oz sinker attached w/ a rubber band, and the clicker on.
Good luck. Makos cook up nicely, but as w/ other apex predators, watch out for the business end, as well as their tails.
Evan.

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
com'on'down...what kind of shark ya want, BIg Hammertheads? Bulls? Blacktip?, Grey Reef?, you'll be so tired of sharks you won't want to see another one ever...lol

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Russ D,
What are you talking about, "they are'nt good for eating anyway"? I have kept and eat'n plenty, when doing off shore drops.

Just trying to figure out which species you are talking about.
He asked about shark fishing in the bay not offshore. I personally love mako and thresher and even the dogfish is good eatin to me. The sharks that come into the bay to reproduce are taking a beating and need to be protected.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Russ,
I see what you are saying. I am asking about in the bay.. since my 17 footer wont make it out in the big blue water, most of the time it hates the HRBT!! I am just looking for a little excitment. If I want a big boy, I will take out my buddies 23 footer and have a go at them.

I guess I will have to settle for 5-7 foot Sandbar sharks.

Any other species really travel into the bay? I have gone as far as the CBBT, but will not venture past it.. too far that is.

Thanks for all the great feedback though.

Keep them lines tight!

CF

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Trailer a few miles further and fish the protected waters off the Va. Eastern shore. Alot of big sharks move into the protected waters to reproduce. Plus you won't really be in open water. I know a few guys on this board do this and they can give you better info than me but that's what you whant to do. I believe they fish out of Quinby and maybe Oyster.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Hey If you have been to the CBBT and you really don't want to run that far, launch in Owls Creek. Head out about 1/2 mile or ferther. I don't think you are allowed to chum within three miles of the beach so chunk menhadden instead. Put your baits out the way described above and wait. All you have to do is pick your days. The way I see it is if you've been to the 1st island then you can go there!!! Good luck1 I know there are some monsters out there.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
Small boat opportunities are best inside the E.Shore barrier islands & on any nearshore structure in the Ocean. Any wreck or hang on the ocean side in sight of land will hold sandtigers & blacktips in the summer. I would bet the reefs all around the Ches. light tower would be good shark spots but you dont have to go that far. You dont have to go way out to catch big sharks. I get my best bait from the cleaning tables at the local marinas. Tuna, mahi carcasses, false ablecore, chopper blues. Anything bloody. Dogfish & rays caught on the spot get cut up and put on the hook as well. Cow nosed ray & butterfly rays NOT southern stingrays (DANGEROUS). Biggest sandtiger I ever saw came on a dogfish head. Good luck..

·
Premium Member
1,102 Posts
i was told that if a shark smells the blood of another shark they get spooked. I don't know if this is true or not but it did come from an oldtimer with lots of shark fishing experience.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Depends what kind of sharks you want to fish for. Triangle wrecks are a good place for Tiger Sharks and off Sandbridge is a good place for several different kinds of sharks. Tuna heads work great for the big ones

1 - 20 of 25 Posts