Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can't quite figure it out....

If I want to fish Shenandoah National Park for brookies, what license do I need? VA Fresh, VA trout stamp, PLUS the little stamp from the park itself? Is that right??? Or can ya get away with just the stamp from the park? Or just the VA fresh and the park stamp, no VA trout stamp. :confused: :helpsmilie:

It's my fishing resolution this year, to go get the brookies a little more...hell, it's an hour from my house, some world-class native mountain brookie fishing, I should take better advantage...

·
Registered
576 Posts
First, there are NO FISH in the SNP. For those idjits that must try and prove me wrong, to fish the SNP proper, all you need is a VA freshwater license. I always buy a National Forest Stamp to waste time in the adjoining, but EQUALLY FISHLESS, National Forest areas. The only time you would need a VA Trout License is fishing a Delayed Harvest stocked stream.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Although it's a futile effort, I have two new bamboo rods that need to aired out. Let me know when you're heading out.

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WAIT...didn't there used to be a small stamp required by the National Park that you could buy at the gate? NOT for the Natl. forest but for SNP....Or am I mistaken?

I'll keep both of you guys posted...I'm probably going to go one day during the last week in March, although it'll be a weekday. Can you do a weekday?

-- Doug

·
Registered
247 Posts
As of last fall, all that was needed to legally fish inside the SNP boundary was a VA freshwater license.

Call one of the ranger offices in the Park to get the skinny. The guys at the Piney River Ranger Station were very helpful in the past.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You shouldn't need the trout stamp to fish non stocked waters. Native brook trout streams don't need the stamp. That's my .02, may want to ask at the park anyway. IF you go to the streams that are stocked you will need a trout stamp.
Dan

·
Registered
764 Posts
Doug,

I fished SNP for years and you will get different answers to your question depending on who you ask. The bottom line is to fish inside the park all you need is a valid VA liscense. Most liscense sellers will tell you that a trout stamp and National Forest Stamp is needed, they are not for the Park. I stopped arguing with those license agents years ago. I think they were just looking to get their fees for the extra stamps.

The trout stamp is needed only to fish stocked streams and only until the stocking period ends in mid -June. After that you can fish the stocked streams without the stamp. As the name implies the NF Stamp is needed for the NF streams and it makes no difference if they are stocked or wild.

There was at one time and may still be a visitors license that you could get at Park visitor centers that was good for I think 5 days and valid only within the Park.

As was previously mentioned, I don't know why you would want to go through the trouble of fishing the Park streams as anyone who has fished there for the length of time I have will tell you it just ain't worth it.

Guy

·
Registered
717 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks Guy, and all, for the ??? clarification. Sounds like I'm okay within the park w/ just a fresh license...

...Guy, hard to believe but it's not all about the fishing. Half the reason I want to fish SNP more often is for the exercise, to get out in the mountains, take some photos, etc etc. It's a pretty place.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Doug,

I defnitely agree, half the enjoyment I got from fishing in the park was the hiking and photo ops. Just be careful if you are fishing the lower reaches of the Park streams as many of them become stocked streams at the park boundary and I found that the boundary line is not always as clearly marked as it ought to be along the stream.

Guy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Yep, all that's needed is a VA freshwater license if you access the streams from the lower park boundary. If you drive up on Skyline drive and hike down to the streams, which is sometimes more productive in the spring, you'll have to pay a fee to enter the park or buy an annual pass. Those brookies should be getting geared up any time now. At present, the streams are still a little cold due to snow melt but with the warmer temps of the last week or so, things should start happening soon. The Quill Gordons shouldn't be too far off.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Some of the parking areas that you use to acess the lower stretches of park streams also require the park pass. I know that a park pass is needed to park at the Old Rag parking lot if you psrk there to fish the lower Hughs. The same is true at the parking lot at the bottom of Cedar Run /White Oak Canyon Run. It pays to read any signs at the parking areas along the park's boundaries.

Guy

1 - 14 of 14 Posts