Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
This afternoon I am ripping out my shift and throttle cables and replacing them. I have no experience with doing this before and have never even looked at how they are attached. Anyone done this before? I have no clue where to begin, but my goal is to get them out by tonight.

Any helpful hints? Thanks guys.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Well, a lot depends on what kind of motor you have. I'll say this, in my experience with Merc outboards, it's a lot easier to deal with the motor end than the throttle end, be advised there are a lot of small parts in the throttle assembly, and some are held in place with only a dab of grease! In other words, pay close attention to the throttle end during disassembly, and don't let the little brass bushings and rollers fall into the bilges.
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
Oh, the throttle quadrant mounts on top of the console? That might be easier to deal with than the side mount setup I have. I know replacing the cables and shifter on a buddies i/o was much simpler than my Merc o/b. Good luck, and I would suggest taking plenty of digital pics as you take it apart....I like digital cameras for this sort of thing....
Pat in Joppa

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, it's a done deal. It took about two hours to get off and temporiarly button everything back up.

With anyhting else on a boat, if I was working on a 1 dimensional square it would be fine, but with tight blind spaces, and secret compartments everywhere, it took a little longer than it should have with just one person.

Conceptually and mechanically a pretty simple job.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Just had that dun..

Francis,
It seems like there isn't much to it. I have an OMC also. I had mine replaced ($250 cable, $150 install). It was readjusted a few times by the mechanic, now I have another problem, I have no reverse. I think there is a major PIA adjustment factor in there, that you have not hit yet. I'm waiting to find once the boat gets dunked again, whether it's an adjustment, or I gotta a nuther problem.....Argh.

Jim:wacko:

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
Francis,
When I repowered with this Evinrude, I found that it is not too hard, as you have found. Good job, at least if you put it back the same.

Stinkbait,
It is definitely in the connection at the throttle. I did the same thing with mine at first, but playing with it for a minute cleared up the problem. Had to find center (neutral) and then switch cables, if I recall. Easy to fix, but I'm surprised a professional missed that one. Hope he gets it straight for you.

-TH

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going to suggest the same thing. From looking at it, it makes sense that the boat has to be in the neutral position when it is installed. I accidently messed it up when I was removing it but put it back into neutral by hand.

Tony, what motor did you end up going with? I am going to have mine in the water as soon as this cable is fixed (hopefully by this weekend) if you want to take a few morning of afternoon trips.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I got that 1995 Evinrude Ocean Pro 150 I posted about. It runs good, but I'm playing with the prop pitch. It gets the speed, but runs at 4200 RPM max. It's definitely over propped. I'm going to take it out later today, and see how it runs with a lower pitch prop.

-TH

1 - 9 of 9 Posts