Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,818 Posts
That must be a tricky place to navigate for large vessels. That's pretty much the same place a similar vessel ran aground last year.
It is a well marked and well documented channel, and the ship should have been under the command of a Bay pilot, so those kind of groundings should not happen.

It would be interesting to read the official report...

·
Registered
7,568 Posts
now that's a scarey thought.
Um....not really. LNG tankers have been opperating since the early 60s...some have even been grounded. They're approaching 40,000 shipments over that time. Can anyone name an instance in which an LNG tanker had a significant leak, much less exploded? Is LNG even transported under pressure (like Propane IS)?

You guys drive down the highway all the time surrounding by pressurized propane trucks and gasoline tankers. Gasoline and oil barges/ships go in and out of Baltimore Harbor. Yet, you're more focused on LNG? I would worry about the ever-present agents of PETA before this.:cool2:

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
3,364 Posts
Maybe would mind the LNG as much if it was staying in MD and not being shipped to Penn. Take it up the Deleware river if its going to Penn!

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
There is one area north of Baltimore light where there is only a red marker without a green on the other side. I often wondered why there was no green marker?
There are countless area's like that, all it means is the other side of the channel is not well defined, usually indicated by a sloping shore line,

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
Anyone have the GPS coordinates of the ship. Maybe we'll have a new piece of bottom structure this spring. Anyone remember the Big Mo Hole on it's maiden voyage out of the Hampton Roads area? That's where the USS Missouri battleship plowed the bottom on its way out of Norfolk, VA many years ago-guess it's still a good fishing spot. Always looking for new "perchin' sites out there. Fortunately the hull of this ship maintained it's integrity and we don't have any environmental problems. :clapping2:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Craighill and Baltimore Light

There is one area north of baltimore light where there is only a red marker without a green on the other side. I often wondered why there was no green marker?
Here's the Craighill Channel starting at Baltimore Light in front of the Magothy and heading up to the Patapsco. To enter the Craighill, ships have to pass under the Bay Bridge using a more centered approach in the Bay and then they have to veer left to get into the Craighill. Once inside the Craighill proper they then run fairly close to Balt. Light and then line up the range markers to the north as they head to the Patapsco.

I'd guess the problems are ocurring during the left turn as the ships come out from under the bridges. Although the channel has always shown on my depth finder as being clearly defined at 50+ ft. on the Western side, I think I remember it being fairly sloped on the Eastern side. Maybe the pilots are keeping these ships a bit too close to that Eastern edge on the approach to the Craighill.

Re the Red and Greens not opposing each other in the channel, this is pretty much what I have seen all over the Bay. I think the Bay pilots rely on their GPS and on the range markers more so than the channel markers once they are in a channel. Maybe they do what I do in that I don't really look at the red and opposing green markers per se, but look more at the line created by at least two or three reds (or greens) as I try to figure out where I need to go.

The Craighill is, to me, very broad and allows plenty of room for two large vessels to pass each other. I'm pretty sure I remember seeing cargo ships pass each other in the channel over the years. The tugs with barges usually slow down and wait for the cargo ships to pass, especially when they are towing a loaded barge.

Here's a link that shows the inside of Baltimore Light. Kind of interesting if you every wondered about what it was like inside:

Craighill Channel Range Lights - Craighill Lower Range Front Slideshow

If you're ever out there and see two ships approaching each other, switch to channel 13 and you'll hear them talk to each other. The information exchange is very detailed and never contentious.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,197 Posts
I don't see the southern approach to the bridge on that map, but Bay pilots routinely cut inside the eastern red maker just south of the bridge. The water is plenty deep enough there and I guess it saves a little time and allows them to line up for the bridge easier. It still makes me nervous to see them bearing down on me outside the channel when I'm fishing the ESRP!

I believe the problem last year was a power failure on the ship which disabled steering. I haven't heard what the issue is this time.

·
Registered
1,816 Posts
From what I have read, this ship ran aground just nort of the baltimore light, outside of gibson Island. That is where I posted about no green marker. It would seem that the ship would stay to the red marker side going north. At green 11, there were lumps at 15' to 19' at that area. Glad it was refloated without environmental damage done. Wonder if the pilot loses their job?

·
Premium Member
2,159 Posts
From what I have read, this ship ran aground just nort of the baltimore light, outside of gibson Island. That is where I posted about no green marker. It would seem that the ship would stay to the red marker side going north. At green 11, there were lumps at 15' to 19' at that area. Glad it was refloated without environmental damage done. Wonder if the pilot loses their job?
Pilot won't lose his job, the Pilot is never in command of the ship and therefore holds no liability. Pilots are hired solely as local advisors, the ships officers and ultimately the captain is the only one that's going to be held accountable.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Here's the chart....

Looks like the reds and greens do pretty much oppose each other north of Balt. Light and R8 and R10 are positioned to allow for a little more room for the turn at G9.

Kinda hard to see how a mistake could have been made without some kind of mechanical breakdown such as steering coming into play. I would think that these big cargo ships would use their Sat-Nav systems to guide them through channels such as Craighill and wouldn't navigate off visuals.

Did someone forget to check a screen until it was too late?

Attachments

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.