Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
It may just be me, but whenever I see a channel marker the first thing that my mind wonders is if I can cut across it and save a half mile. This is so in several places like Solomons, Point Lookout, and St Jeromes creek.

As most everyone knows there is a shoal that shoots out of Flag Ponds Nature Park between CCNPP and Flag Harbor. If you ride the edge (in the winter you can actually see the bottom underwater) and have your radar on, you'll see that a literally inches deep sand bar shoots out pretty much exaclty a half mile from the shore.

Anyway some time in the past 12 months "they" put in two shoaling markers where the bar juts out the most and is the shallowest. I wanted to see if I could save a few seconds and run inside of them by just a little bit. Lets just say whoever put them out probably wanted to punish the moron that questioned their exact placement.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I must say the first thing that came to mind when reading this is
OH SH:censored: T and then Dam that hurt
Hope everything and everyone is ok
Benny

·
Premium Member
317 Posts
Thanks for sharing the information, you have probably saved others from an undesirable encounter with the shoals. When I was a pilot we used to tell new pilots to learn from the mistakes of others as they wouldn't live long enough to make all the mistakes themselves.

Dave

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you ever see me in a shiny new parker in the near future, I am pretty sure I will be on 95 headed to Florida with a pack of cop cars in tow.

Jack-you may want to check those bearings :)

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I'm cool!
14,062 Posts
They must have put them in this winter; they weren't there in the fall. Learned to swing wide on the way from Flag Harbor to CCNPP and back a long time ago. On a really low, blow out tide, that bar can be exposed and you can walk out from the beach. Lots of boats have found that bar the hard way.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts