Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I'm looking for some advice on shore fishing the Cove on the Elizabeth River this weekend. I am going to jig with the usual stuff; the Super Shad electric chicken, MirrOlures, etc, but I am taking my 5-year old and want to guarantee him some fish. It doesn't matter if it's a big trout, or a little white perch, or mud shad, he just needs to feel a tug. What will work under a bobber out there; worms, cut-bait, minnows?

Henri

·
Registered
838 Posts
If you're talking about fishing from the bank in the cove itself, afraid to tell you but that land is posted. You can only fish it by boat, unless you want an invite to court.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you're talking about fishing from the bank in the cove itself, afraid to tell you but that land is posted. You can only fish it by boat, unless you want an invite to court.
Really? I saw about a bunch of people fishing the bank on Sunday. Makes sense though, there are too many waterways that are all but closed in this area. Stumpy Lake is just around the corner, and there are sign posted all over except for on the one side where they just built a fishing pier. Of course, there are no fish on that side. Go figure.

·
Registered
199 Posts
yeah i went out there the other day and was in a boat...but i saw two guys wading around in the cove....i think you can walk through the woods from chesapeake yachts and fish the beach sand point into the cove, but the timber edge around the cove i think dominion has land rights to, and some of those people fishing there might work for them or have special permission...good luck, hope your boy catches a monster!!!! Brandon

·
Registered
102 Posts
The people fishing on shore either have permission or are scofflaws. We pulled our kayaks on shore there to stretch our legs and got a tongue lashing from the Coast Guard! But that was awhile back, maybe the rules have changed.

·
Registered
99 Posts
You can take the boy to Northwest river off the shore. Fish small to medium shiners within 6 inches of the bottom on a float and he will catch something. Two more weeks or so and it will be great. There are nice yellow perch moving in there mixed with lots of chain pickerel, bowfin, catfish, fliers, etc....Fish a little higher in the water column and some nice crappies are there too! Good luck with the little guy......take him there in early April and the white perch bite is fantastic!!! Good fishing, post some pics of the little man!!

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You can take the boy to Northwest river off the shore. Fish small to medium shiners within 6 inches of the bottom on a float and he will catch something. Two more weeks or so and it will be great. There are nice yellow perch moving in there mixed with lots of chain pickerel, bowfin, catfish, fliers, etc....Fish a little higher in the water column and some nice crappies are there too! Good luck with the little guy......take him there in early April and the white perch bite is fantastic!!! Good fishing, post some pics of the little man!!
I might do that. How do you get access? From the park maybe? I know that there's a small dock at the back side of the park, but last I was there, the water was really murky. I know they have some trout in the lake, but we got skunked the last few times there.

·
Registered
140 Posts
That little lake at NW River doesn't hold much, you need to follow the road/bike trail to the left for about a mile to a little park and piers on the water. If you have bikes, that's the way to go. That is one of the better portions of the river and it's a great spot for youngsters.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input guy. I ended up running down to the Northwest River with my wife and son today. You were spot on. We caught perch, channel cats, and some bream. The guy next to us caught some of the biggest slob yellow perch that I've ever seen. He caught a good sized crappie and a bunch of channel cats also.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts