Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else doing the Triangle wreck this weeked off Kill Devil Hills?
Now that the town has place a bouy on one of the sections the site has become very popular. Before, you had to lineup three things ones you were way out there if you wanted to see metal so... there is a saying... "the early bird gets the worm" now you know what you need to do to get some dinner. [grin]

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hey Spearo, I'm new to this section of the board...just started reading some posts and found to be very interesting. I dove that triangle wreck 2x, last time was about 8 yrs ago. The first time, great vis and witnessed a spear fisherman clean it up!!!

The second time vis was only about 6-8 feet and it wasn't as fun. That was my wifes first and last saltwater dive! Oh well, at least she tried it. I haven't dove in at least 5 years since we have a few kids....the idea still gets me fired up. I have a 26'8 Glacier Bay and I plan on spending a few days fishing the CBBT in late may and will consider dusting off the gear!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bucktale, welcome to this corner. I feel your pain about the low vis. and woman divin, my douther also dives and the CBBT divin thing with the 4-6ft. vis. is no diving to her.

We should all remember when doing those wrecks offshore and hunting in them that those wrecks are filled with sharks even if they don't show-up when you're divin they know what the sound of metal hitting matal means and ones you got something they like thy're not going to stop untill they get it and if you get in their way you will get hurt, just something to keep in mind always when draging dead fish around those deep wrecks.
Stay in shape, check old gear and get in the water a few times before doing open water. The CBBT is a close, low vis. hunting so a small gun (36" to 48" max.) with a short line will do fine.
Maybe this spring a few of us can hit the rocks with diffrent boats and set a perimeter to do the job safe and away from other boats and props. I bagged a bunch of lg. spades last year but I feel one needs to get in and freedive first to see what's going on before you get all that gear on for nothing.

Stay in shape.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Hey guys. I have a 2005 Grady White 232 Gulstream. Been diving since 1995 and I like to spear fish. Most of my diving is out of Morehead City, but I also dive here too. The flounder are plenty around the wrecks. Togs not too bad either. Maybe we can hook up and do some diving. Speaking of sharks. Most of the time the sand tigers are not an issue, but when you put a lot of blood in the water, even they become aggressive. I have had to beat a few away to save the catch. I carry a .44 powerhead with me also just in case. Never had to use it yet.

Take care

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Keep looking, it may get warmer earlier this year to get in and get wet.

I bough my first 44 back in the early 70s and used it a few times just to see what it would do but never used it for what I bought it for and still have it, now when "they" come I just give it and give it all, get away and dive another site. I have learned that you can't stand in front of a run- away train and come out the same way you started so I just give it to them when they come for it, I get to go home that day.

·
Registered
578 Posts
I've never used my .44 powerhead, either. Just got a sharkshield ordered, though. That ought to do the trick.

Karlista, I dive out of Morehead City, Wilmington and Swansboro once in awhile myself. I like the private boat thing. Best way to go. Let's make a plan.

Mark

·
Registered
805 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
There is one that you do with your hunting buddy, it works well as long as he holds the meat and you do the shooting.[grin]

·
Registered
578 Posts
Yeah, that works too, Spearo. The thing I'm talking about is an electronic device you wear that sends out an electrical field that is noxious to sharks through their ampulle of lorenzini. I'll post a link later.
Mark

·
Registered
331 Posts
I was going to get one of those electronic shark repellants, too. If you check the Spearboard posts, they do apparently work under fire.

·
Registered
578 Posts
And here's the closest source I know of, right in Virginia Beach:

http://www.omerdiving.com/product.aspx?product=168

Ask Mark Labocetta about the Mid-Atlantic Freedive Club (MAFC), which is free. Tell him I sent you.

Mark Jacobs

1 - 13 of 13 Posts