Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,271 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw weather window to try today - looked OK until about 2-3. Stopped by Anglers for ice and bloodworms - be prepared for almost $12.00 a dozen - OUCH.

Launched about 10:45 and headed south to Hacketts. Little chop but the Grady ate it up at 30 knots. Had to play dodge the Cownose rays - damn they are thick. Been a few Spot caught here / there and was hoping to find 5-6 of these great live lining baits. New finder is good but still learning what the marks mean.

Saw fish tight to bottom and dropped anchor. Dropped over bloodworms on # 4 hooks and got tap. Up came Perch after Perch. Moved 2-3 times but no Spot. The Perch were about 6-8 inchers - threw all but 3 back. Saved them for my Black Lab - Ruckus. Almost brought him but glad I did not as it was really hot out.

Got some advice on where the Rock were in morning so took gamble and ran SE. Meter was showing nice marks at 20-25 in 35 feet so slowed and put over 4 rods. All tandem rigged bucktails with 6 inch shads or Storm lures.

Weights were 6 to 16 and line lengths from 130 to 60 feet. Clouds were getting dark but only few spits of rain fell. Saw more Rays and prayed I would not snag one. They are a mess to hook when trolling - especially alone.

Trolled about 30 minutes and saw a lot of bait busting on surface. Meter lit up nicely and heard drag zip out. I use Penn 320's and set drag light as I had to watch other boats.

Nice fight and swung a 26 1 /2 over the side. It hit a Golden Mullet Storm lure on the 6 oz 130 rod. Reset it and circled my track. Got almost back to where first one hit and 100 with 10 got hit. Fish again took little bit of drag - never tire of hearing that. This fish went deep as I leadered it but soon it was in the boat. 30 inches exactly - made my limit.

It hit a blue head white with white shad.

Clunked it on head and put in cooler - then laid on the ice.

Reeled in the other three lines and ran to Thomas Point to look around using side scan. I've dove here so have rough idea what is down there. Took a few passes and saw few items of interest as wind began to really pick up. Running back at 25 knots - had some spray as I crossed mouth of Severn. Stopped by bridge for little while and found some Perch but again - all were small.

Called it a day about 3:00 and ran back to ramp. Sandy Point had small white caps and saw few boaters have slight trouble getting boats on trailer. One guy had boat 180* - engine facing the ramp. His buddy helped him pivot the boat.

Once on trailer - driving home a few gusts moved the truck. Timed it perfect - glad fish cooperated.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Skip, Did pretty much the same but saved some small perch and took them over to the BB for some LL. No luck. Had our light rods in the water also and a bud picked up two menhaden on a bare hook. In the live well they went and then headed North of the
BB for chunking. One 22" in the box with a 20" released. About 130PM wind started blowing out of the mouth of the Magothy at warp speed and headed bk to SPSP.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Dave I thought that was you at the bridge. I told my buddies I was with, "There are not too many Sea Pro bay boats out here, that is probably Dave." We did well also, I think are largest was 27". We were in my privateer.

·
Registered
2,843 Posts
Skip,

You ate rockfish and gave the perch to Ruckus? What were you thinking??
:devil2:

But seriously, great story! I have a couple of those golden mullets as part of my present spread, and I've been itching to use them. It's been too darned windy of late, and I hope to get a crack before the blues show up.

Keep 'em coming! :thumbup:

Don

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Dave I thought that was you at the bridge. I told my buddies I was with, "There are not too many Sea Pro bay boats out here, that is probably Dave." We did well also, I think are largest was 27". We were in my privateer.
Nick, Paint job from prev. owner is pretty recognizable. I remember the Privateer, had tried to buy one several years back from a guy in Arnold. You did better than I.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Dave, I had some highly competitive fisherman with me. I met the guy with the privateer 20 in Arnold several times. He is fairly hardcore. I remember him coming in one day and telling us he came from love point and the wind was brisk. We rounded the jetty at sandy point into a steep 2 foot chop and turned around. The other owner was probably 40 years older than my partner and I and he still caught his limit before heading home. I think I'm going to be out friday morning if your going.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts