Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad and I dropped the boat for the first time to try a little catch and release. Only got about 3 miles from where we put in and decided to drop our lines in. About 10 am we started trolling around with some scattered bait and a few fish here and there on the fish finder. Put out a 7 rod spread, some chartreuse, some white and some purple. First fish hit a 6 arm purple umbrella with 16 ounce inline. It was small probably about 27 inches. Must have really wanted that nine inch shad! Next fish was another small that hit a purple and black stretch. After that another one bit the purple umbrella and it was probably around 30 inches. After this I pulled my white tandem in and replaced it with a purple tandem. Soon after it was out it got hit by a mid thirties fish. Circle back through the same area and the purple tandem got hit again, another mid thirties fish for us. Kept checking the other lures to check for them being fouled or covered with grass since they were not getting bites. Got bored when it took us about 20 minutes to find the fish again and when it hit that same purple tandem it hit it hard. Dad got a good work out on a fish that was probably 42" and fat!

I was ready to call it quits since we had both reeled in 3 but he insisted we keep going so I could get my arms burnt out like he just did. A few minutes later the purple tandem takes a dive again. I grab it and it keeps like the fish came off, When I was putting it back in the holder it went down hard again. So I start my workout. Get it to the boat and it is a double, one fish in the mid thirties and the other around 40. OK now we are done.

Start clearing the lines and the the Coast Guard shows up to check on us. Finish up our little talk with them and back to the boat ramp. Not a bad first try for the year. Can't wait for season so I can bring some home to fry up. Once I get some pictures off my phone I will post a couple.

·
Tidal Fish Subscriber - I support TidalFish.com!
3,659 Posts
Thanks for the rpt S.

very good day of action, in my book. send them up to the patuxent (sp) river area please. :clapping2::yes:

·
Registered
757 Posts
That sounds like one heck of a double - contgrats! I'm still having withdrawal from last falls disappointing season - sounds like there just might be a few big ones out there this spring! Thanks for the report!

·
Registered
721 Posts
Nice, I think that's exactly where we were like 2 weeks ago. Glad you had some nice catches.

DRB, the season opens for keeping striper in May but you can fish out of season if you use barb-less hooks and release everything you catch.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts