Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Launched at 11:00 - solo trip , as my dad just was not up to a fishing trip. Looked around for Spot but no luck just south of the bridge.

Moved around a few times but only got a few small Perch and one Cownose ray about 10 lbs. Current was a weak incoming - then slack so I boded my time for outgoing to start. Only trouble - it would be pushing against a south breeze.

Used the time to side scan a few areas - every trip I find something new.

Current began moving so I ran up towards Sandy Point light to try the drop from 6 to 15 for Spot. No luck but did run into a huge school of Menhaden feeding along the tide line. Caught one on a spoon - was hoping a Rock or Blue would be under the school but no luck.

Put the 8 inch Menhaden in the livewell and tried few more spots for Spot but no luck. Drifted the live Menhaden off Podickery using 2 oz to get it down in 30 feet of water. Had it back hooked and it soon was going nuts. You think Spot get nervous - this was 5 times better. Soon felt a very solid THUNK - then nothing. Waited but knew what had happened to the prize bait. Reeled up an empty hook - sure enough a Rock had tore the soft bait off the hook on the strike.

Water temp. is 77* and water was decent looking.

Tried LTJ the area but no luck so went back to bridge to look for Perch. I had one soft crab and after anchoring just right - sent small pieces down on a single hook bottom rig. The crab barely got to bottom before 8-10 inch Perch were on it. Got two 13-15 inch Rock as well.

Replacing the crab with fresh , bloody blood worm got hits but nothing like the crab did. Wish I could secure a dozen softies without going broke.

Fished until about 3:00 and then headed back in. Traffic on Fridays is always bad and it is no fun trailering in stop / go. Managed to beat most of it. Short trip but always good to get out on the bay.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Thanks for the report! Great info as always. Water temp is 77 on September 19. My benchmark is 70 degrees on October1, so seems above average. Should lead to a nice next 6 weeks on the water.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts