Tidal Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wind , wind go away - been a tough week , no doubt. Saw a chance to fish today - winds around 10 but increasing to 20 /25 by 3:00. Took gamble wind would not come in as fast as predicted - I lost :eek2:.

Launched about 9:00 and ran SE towards # 86 - not so much as a hot spot - more so I would have wind behind me when it got stronger. My friend was supposed to go but got hung up at work - I did not really mind as it was already a slight chop to bay.

Set 5 rods off port planer and one boat rod back @ 200 feet with a 6 /2 tandem. Worked east west pattern not seeing much on meter. Water temp. was 49 to 50* ( soft ware update fixed the 131* readings ). Saw a few gannets dropping in 35 -40 feet but only small bait clusters near the splashes.

Wind was slowly but steadily increasing from south - made a rolling troll in the swells.

Got a hit in 90 feet off board - nice fish about 39 inches. Did not bother to bring it in to measure. It hit a white 2 oz - part of a 6/2 tandem.

Circled back as wind picked up but did not get any more hits. Started to whitecap - wind was around 17-18 knots. Solid two footers but quite fishable.

Worked slowly north and went into 30 feet off Severn where gannets were dropping left / right. Only saw very scattered bait but circled area - hoping a Rock or two was nearby. Gave that an hour and now it was getting choppy. Few lumpers in the mix that swallowed the board - flags looking like periscopes.

Worked up almost to bridge and had good strike on boat rod but fish did not get hooked. The boat was lifting / dropping - my guess this let slack in line before I could get to rod. Reeled it in and saw hair messed up on the chartreuse 2 oz Alien. Racked that rod and slowly brought in the 5 off the board. All were clean - one tiny snot ball on a swivel.

Ran back at 15 knots - surfing over a few large waves. Amazing how rough it got in only 4 hours - weatherman was dead on this time.

Took photo of the ramp parking lot - won't see this likely until winter - only my truck was there.

Easy drive home at 2:30 - only good thing about quitting early. Winds look bad next few days but I'm ready to try next window.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey Skip nice catch..... I know you bought a Simrad what model did you get and what transducer to go with it.. was it a Chirp ???

·
Registered
70 Posts
Thanks for the post....i wanna get out another time or two before season starts for some light tackle jigging but just cant bring myself to make the hour and 45 minute drive hoping for a window.

·
Premium Member
26,179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Russel - Did not get checked by DNR - I know most officers out of Sandy Point - and they know my truck as well. I play fair - but never mind being checked. Only takes few minutes.

Recovery - I bought the Simrad 12 inch and use a Navico B150 chirp 20* thru hull transducer.

Jack - I'm very lucky in being only about 25 minutes away from Sandy Point - makes a short trip doable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts