Tidal Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy all

I have a Rem 11-87 and the gun has never given me a problem, but... last year I bought a Rem 11-87 cantelever (sp) rifled barrel for the gun to do some deer hunting.

The problem is that if you chamber a shell and load 2 more in the magizine, then shot, the action ejects the fired shell and locks back and does not chamber another shell. Does anyone know what would cause this?

Fred

·
Registered
99 Posts
Slowpoke,

Sounds like you may have a broken part in your reciever. If you close the bolt, you should be able remove the shells from the magizine with your finger by pushing the shell holder on the left hand side looking at it upside down. The part on the right moves up when the gun is fired. That part has broken in my gun before. Or your the thing that opens the magizine has sprung itself. That is your problem if you cant get to the magizine. It's hard to tell without more info.

BILL

·
Registered
2,233 Posts
I've had the same problem before and so has my dad. I've also had it happen where it will eject a shell from the magazine but it jams up in the receiver and won't load it into the magazine.

My dad has sent his 11-87 to remington twice to have it "rebuilt". They change a bunch of parts and clean and polish it up. Finally, after still having problems with it he took it to a gunsmith in Easton called Albrights. That guy really knows what he's doing. He told us alot of the people at remington are NOT real gunsmiths they only work on an assembly line and put specific parts together.

If you can't get it worked out i would take it to Albrights. I think my dads ended up being something with the shell latch, not sure. Good luck

·
Registered
1,093 Posts
The best way I know to fix it is to buy an 870. I have used the same gun most of my hunting life nad other than have it cleaned good every two years it has NEVER failed.

DEAN

·
Registered
621 Posts
Fred,

I wish I had time to look at mine but I might be able to get you on the right track.

Did the gun work fine until you put the new barrel on?

When did the gun start having the problem......the last time you shot it or cleaned?

Do you ever pull out the trigger assembly when cleaning?

Now to take a better look at the problem.......if you load the chamber and magazine but dont fire it........just manually pull back on the operating handle all the way.................what happens?
Does it eject and then lock back....just as happens when you fire?

The mechanism to look at.
The shells in the magazine are what tells the action not to lock back thus when the mag shells are gone a lever will usually no longer be depressed allowing the bolt to be captured when it goes rearward.

Guns are very simple and you might want to cut down some fired hull to act as action proving dummies to help you.

Mark

·
Registered
621 Posts
Well......I could stand not looking into it further.

It looks like the carrier latch (part #24 from manual) should be the problem.

When a fired shell pushes the bolt rearward the bolt pushes the feed latch (#39) in allowing the next live shell fram the mag to spring back. The motion of the shell (slamming) pushing against the carrier latch causes it to go rearward (this is connected to the carrier release button but separate parts.....kind of an internal version).

When the carrier latch is pushed rearward (same as if you pushed the button) the carrier raises up with the new shell as the bolt is released....thus chambering the next live shell.

Get out or find the gun schematic.....look at part #24 (carrier latch)

Is it bent or broke?
With the bolt locked back...push on it with your finger......but hold onto the bolt handle so you dont get you finger cut off.

Let me know if you need more info (photos)

Mark

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Guys, when I put the 28" vent rib barrel on the gun it works fine. The problem is only when I put the slug barrel on the gun.

Fred

·
Registered
99 Posts
Slowpoke, Check the gas port's on your slug barrel, use a small drill bit the same size as the port. Look down the barrel and make sure it's clear. You may also need a new o-ring, it may seat on the barrel it's used to but not enough on the new one. If it's worn or dry rotted get a new one. I like to keep a spare just in case you need one in a hurry.

BILL

·
Registered
621 Posts
Only changing the barrel is a real head scratcher........you dont mess with anything else.......are you taking the plug out of the magazine tube?

Mark

·
Registered
621 Posts
The gas port, seals, and o-ring should all deal with recoil and having enough force to work the action for ejection and extraction.
It should have nothing to do with the bolt locking back.

If the spent shell was ejected and the bolt locked back in the rearward position then it has enough force behind it.

But if my earlier analysis does not help......you might as well check these things out.
Sometimes other peoples observation are visualized differently by other listeners[smile].

Mark

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Take the slug barrel back, but the regular shot barrel back on and buy a job specific slug gun, either the Mossberg bolt or the Savage bolt.

You won't be disappointed. I have the Mossberg 695 from a few years ago and let me tell you something about acuracy. Wow.

The Savage is very plain but very accurate.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I have the Hastings Cantalever on my 11-87...no problems here.

I prefer the semi-auto but if accuracy is the goal then the TC Encore or a bolt action would be tits!

Sub 1" groups are not required in the thickets I'm hunting!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts